Norwegian Air Is Leaving Las Vegas Amid Broader Schedule Shakeup
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
European low-cost carrier Norwegian is ending its service to Las Vegas as it focuses on more profitable markets in its network.
The Oslo-based airline will not resume its seasonal flight between Las Vegas (LAS) and London Gatwick (LGW). The flight, which was the carrier’s only route from Las Vegas, operated twice weekly on a Boeing 787 and ended in March, as previously scheduled.
Norwegian’s decision to drop the Las Vegas comes amid amid a number of other seasonal changes announced by the carrier Monday.
In addition, Norwegian will not resume its flights between Orlando (MCO) and Stockholm (ARN) this winter.
The suspensions are part of a larger effort by Norwegian to focus on “more profitable long-haul routes elsewhere within the network, which is aligned with the airline’s focus on return to profitability.”
For nonstops between Las Vegas and London, passengers still have other options. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic offer up to three combined flights a day between the Nevada city and both London Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
However, travel between Orlando and Stockholm will become more challenging without Norwegian. It had been the only carrier offering nonstop flights between the two cities.
In addition to the suspensions, Norwegian is shifting 10 year-round routes to summer-only status. The following routes will now go on hiatus during Norwegian’s winter schedule:
- Boston (BOS) – Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – London Gatwick
- Denver (DEN) – London Gatwick
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) – Copenhagen (CPH)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Copenhagen
- Los Angeles – Oslo (OSL)
- Los Angeles – Rome Fiumicino (FCO)
- New York JFK – Copenhagen
- New York JFK – Stockholm
- Orlando – Oslo
The carrier will also move two routes to San Francisco (SFO) from nearby Oakland (OAK). Flights to Barcelona (BCN) will begin operating from San Francisco on Oct. 28, and service to Paris Charles de Gaulle on Oct. 30. Both routes operate twice weekly.
Norwegian shifted its flights between Oakland and London Gatwick to San Francisco in March, saying it expected the route would be more profitable from SFO.
The airline continues to serve Oakland on a seasonal basis from Copenhagen, Oslo and Rome Fiumicino.
Norwegian operates 787 aircraft on all of the impacted routes.
Featured image by Ryan Patterson, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.