Norwegian Air Is Leaving Las Vegas Amid Broader Schedule Shakeup
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
European low-cost carrier Norwegian is ending its service to Las Vegas as it focuses on more profitable markets in its network.
The Oslo-based airline will not resume its seasonal flight between Las Vegas (LAS) and London Gatwick (LGW). The flight, which was the carrier’s only route from Las Vegas, operated twice weekly on a Boeing 787 and ended in March, as previously scheduled.
Norwegian’s decision to drop the Las Vegas comes amid amid a number of other seasonal changes announced by the carrier Monday.
In addition, Norwegian will not resume its flights between Orlando (MCO) and Stockholm (ARN) this winter.
The suspensions are part of a larger effort by Norwegian to focus on “more profitable long-haul routes elsewhere within the network, which is aligned with the airline’s focus on return to profitability.”
For nonstops between Las Vegas and London, passengers still have other options. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic offer up to three combined flights a day between the Nevada city and both London Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
However, travel between Orlando and Stockholm will become more challenging without Norwegian. It had been the only carrier offering nonstop flights between the two cities.
In addition to the suspensions, Norwegian is shifting 10 year-round routes to summer-only status. The following routes will now go on hiatus during Norwegian’s winter schedule:
- Boston (BOS) – Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – London Gatwick
- Denver (DEN) – London Gatwick
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) – Copenhagen (CPH)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Copenhagen
- Los Angeles – Oslo (OSL)
- Los Angeles – Rome Fiumicino (FCO)
- New York JFK – Copenhagen
- New York JFK – Stockholm
- Orlando – Oslo
The carrier will also move two routes to San Francisco (SFO) from nearby Oakland (OAK). Flights to Barcelona (BCN) will begin operating from San Francisco on Oct. 28, and service to Paris Charles de Gaulle on Oct. 30. Both routes operate twice weekly.
Norwegian shifted its flights between Oakland and London Gatwick to San Francisco in March, saying it expected the route would be more profitable from SFO.
The airline continues to serve Oakland on a seasonal basis from Copenhagen, Oslo and Rome Fiumicino.
Norwegian operates 787 aircraft on all of the impacted routes.
Featured image by Ryan Patterson, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees