Flying Blue Just Dropped Fuel Surcharges on Air Europa Flights — Book Your Trip to Europe Now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For at least two more days, you can book SkyTeam member Air Europa from Miami or New York to Madrid for 62,500 Flying Blue miles and $23.90 one-way from the US.
Live and Let’s Fly reports that Flying Blue has dropped the fuel surcharges for Air Europa flights — typically they’re just under $1,000, but now taxes and fees on a round-trip award flight will come in at just about $100.
Air Europa has taken delivery of 787 Dreamliners, which are flying on the Miami-Madrid route and offer lie-flat business-class seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The airline’s A330s, which are currently servicing the JFK-Madrid route, are being retrofitted with lie-flat business class, but it looks like many still have the old product.
This is a great redemption, and it’s wonderful to see that surcharges have dropped so much. That said, there are a couple of mitigating factors to be aware of for this redemption. The first is that Flying Blue has a program overhaul due to take effect in just a few days, on June 1, and we aren’t exactly sure how much an award ticket for this flight will cost. The new calculator on FlyingBlue.com says a business-class flight will “start from” 58,000 miles:
My guess is that price may not be available the vast majority of the time when the new program takes effect, so it may be a good idea to go ahead and book now. We also aren’t sure if this new structure of no fuel surcharges on Air Europa flights will be maintained in just a few days. If you’re considering the flight, book now before the end of the month. Plus, take advantage of the current American Express Membership Rewards 25% transfer bonus to Flying Blue and lower the current cost of your flight to 50,000 Amex points one-way.
The second factor making this redemption a bit more difficult is the removal of the monthly availability calendar from the Air France and KLM award search engines. The calendar view previously made it rather easy to find dates with award seats over a month-long period. Now, you’re required to search day by day, which takes considerably more time. I also cannot get the actual calendar to select my travel date and display it in its entirety:
This is really making it time-consuming and difficult to find award space on the Flying Blue engines. Thankfully in Air Europa’s case, ExpertFlyer displays Air Europa business class Flex award availability, and so far the Flying Blue engine is matching what ExpertFlyer shows as available.
Here is December 10 for Miami to Madrid on both ExpertFlyer and Flying Blue:
Availability on these routes over the summer looks to be rather sparse, but it opens up nicely in the fall and winter.
With the Amex transfer bonus, you can book round-trip from Miami to Madrid in Air Europa’s business class on the Dreamliner for 100,000 Amex points and ~$100. That’s a great deal on a new aircraft, and there’s pretty good availability if you’re booking far in advance.
Let’s hope that once the Flying Blue changes go into effect in June, there are still no fuel surcharges on Air Europa and that the minimum cost of 58,000 miles displayed by the new calculator is a common price rather than the exception to the rule.
Featured photo by @javialc via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees