This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For at least two more days, you can book SkyTeam member Air Europa from Miami or New York to Madrid for 62,500 Flying Blue miles and $23.90 one-way from the US.
Live and Let’s Fly reports that Flying Blue has dropped the fuel surcharges for Air Europa flights — typically they’re just under $1,000, but now taxes and fees on a round-trip award flight will come in at just about $100.
Air Europa has taken delivery of 787 Dreamliners, which are flying on the Miami-Madrid route and offer lie-flat business-class seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The airline’s A330s, which are currently servicing the JFK-Madrid route, are being retrofitted with lie-flat business class, but it looks like many still have the old product.
This is a great redemption, and it’s wonderful to see that surcharges have dropped so much. That said, there are a couple of mitigating factors to be aware of for this redemption. The first is that Flying Blue has a program overhaul due to take effect in just a few days, on June 1, and we aren’t exactly sure how much an award ticket for this flight will cost. The new calculator on FlyingBlue.com says a business-class flight will “start from” 58,000 miles:
My guess is that price may not be available the vast majority of the time when the new program takes effect, so it may be a good idea to go ahead and book now. We also aren’t sure if this new structure of no fuel surcharges on Air Europa flights will be maintained in just a few days. If you’re considering the flight, book now before the end of the month. Plus, take advantage of the current American Express Membership Rewards 25% transfer bonus to Flying Blue and lower the current cost of your flight to 50,000 Amex points one-way.
The second factor making this redemption a bit more difficult is the removal of the monthly availability calendar from the Air France and KLM award search engines. The calendar view previously made it rather easy to find dates with award seats over a month-long period. Now, you’re required to search day by day, which takes considerably more time. I also cannot get the actual calendar to select my travel date and display it in its entirety:
This is really making it time-consuming and difficult to find award space on the Flying Blue engines. Thankfully in Air Europa’s case, ExpertFlyer displays Air Europa business class Flex award availability, and so far the Flying Blue engine is matching what ExpertFlyer shows as available.
Here is December 10 for Miami to Madrid on both ExpertFlyer and Flying Blue:
Availability on these routes over the summer looks to be rather sparse, but it opens up nicely in the fall and winter.
With the Amex transfer bonus, you can book round-trip from Miami to Madrid in Air Europa’s business class on the Dreamliner for 100,000 Amex points and ~$100. That’s a great deal on a new aircraft, and there’s pretty good availability if you’re booking far in advance.
Let’s hope that once the Flying Blue changes go into effect in June, there are still no fuel surcharges on Air Europa and that the minimum cost of 58,000 miles displayed by the new calculator is a common price rather than the exception to the rule.
Featured photo by @javialc via Twenty20.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees