This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express Membership Rewards are some of the most valuable points, allowing you to transfer to 19 different travel partners.
Now American Express is upping the value even more with a fantastic bonus when transferring Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue, Air France and KLM’s mileage program. Now through June 15, 2018 you’ll receive a 25% bonus when transferring MR points to Flying Blue. There appears to be no limit to the amount of points you can transfer.
Membership Rewards-earning cards include:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN
- The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express
Flying Blue announced changes to its award chart back in March — while some routes became more expensive, others now require fewer miles. Still, this transfer bonus can make for some incredibly good redemptions.
For bookings made after June 1, you can fly from New York to Paris (CDG) or Amsterdam (AMS) in business class for just 57,500 miles. With the 25% bonus, that means you’ll only need to transfer just 46,000 Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue for this award, which is a steal for a flight that normally costs a couple thousand dollars. For bookings before June 1, you’d need to transfer 50,000 MR points, still a solid deal. If you can find availability, you could even snag a suite on Delta’s new A350, which is flying from Detroit (DTW) to Amsterdam (AMS) for just 46,000 points.
Flying Blue has some other fantastic options in its award chart. You can fly from the East Coast to Hawaii on Delta for just 15,000 miles one-way or 30,000 round-trip. With the bonus you’d only need to transfer 24,000 Membership Rewards for a round-trip flight. You could also fly from the US to Mexico for as little as 20,000 points round-trip, since Flying Blue only charges 25,000 miles for a round-trip flight.
For more on maximizing Flying Blue miles, read The Top Uses of Flying Blue Miles and 5 Things You Need to Know About Air France/KLM Flying Blue. If you don’t have enough miles for your preferred redemption after transferring your MR points to Flying Blue, remember that you can also transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points and SPG Starpoints to Flying Blue. Transfers from Membership Rewards to Flying Blue should occur instantly.
Regardless of the bonus, Flying Blue is still a solid mileage program to transfer your points to. And with the bonus it’s nearly a no-brainer if you have a SkyTeam redemption in mind.
Featured image by Bruno Geiger / Flickr.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees