This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express Membership Rewards are some of the most valuable points, allowing you to transfer to 19 different travel partners.
Now American Express is upping the value even more with a fantastic bonus when transferring Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue, Air France and KLM’s mileage program. Now through June 15, 2018 you’ll receive a 25% bonus when transferring MR points to Flying Blue. There appears to be no limit to the amount of points you can transfer.
Membership Rewards-earning cards include:
- The Platinum Card from American Express
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
- Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
Flying Blue announced changes to its award chart back in March — while some routes became more expensive, others now require fewer miles. Still, this transfer bonus can make for some incredibly good redemptions.
For bookings made after June 1, you can fly from New York to Paris (CDG) or Amsterdam (AMS) in business class for just 57,500 miles. With the 25% bonus, that means you’ll only need to transfer just 46,000 Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue for this award, which is a steal for a flight that normally costs a couple thousand dollars. For bookings before June 1, you’d need to transfer 50,000 MR points, still a solid deal. If you can find availability, you could even snag a suite on Delta’s new A350, which is flying from Detroit (DTW) to Amsterdam (AMS) for just 46,000 points.
Flying Blue has some other fantastic options in its award chart. You can fly from the East Coast to Hawaii on Delta for just 15,000 miles one-way or 30,000 round-trip. With the bonus you’d only need to transfer 24,000 Membership Rewards for a round-trip flight. You could also fly from the US to Mexico for as little as 20,000 points round-trip, since Flying Blue only charges 25,000 miles for a round-trip flight.
For more on maximizing Flying Blue miles, read The Top Uses of Flying Blue Miles and 5 Things You Need to Know About Air France/KLM Flying Blue. If you don’t have enough miles for your preferred redemption after transferring your MR points to Flying Blue, remember that you can also transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points and SPG Starpoints to Flying Blue. Transfers from Membership Rewards to Flying Blue should occur instantly.
Regardless of the bonus, Flying Blue is still a solid mileage program to transfer your points to. And with the bonus it’s nearly a no-brainer if you have a SkyTeam redemption in mind.
Featured image by Bruno Geiger / Flickr.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees