United begins construction on ‘one-of-a-kind’ Club at Newark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines operates two types of lounges at its Northeast hub, Newark Liberty International Airport. There’s a top-notch Polaris Lounge, with free a-la-carte dining, showers and a number of other amenities; and several United Club lounges, with fewer perks but far less restrictive access requirements.
I’ve found the carrier’s Newark (EWR) United Clubs to be especially crowded since the airline converted its largest NYC-area location into a Polaris Lounge, though. That’s led to frustration for members and customers who score access thanks to credit card perks, such as the two one-time passes that come as a benefit of the United Explorer Card.
Now, several years after Newark’s largest United Club closed, the airline has finally shared details about its replacement location. It will be positioned near Terminal C’s gate C124 and sport “sweeping views of the runway and the New York City skyline.”
As a United representative explained:
We’re excited to share that we’ve begun construction on the latest addition to our global United Club network with a brand-new location at Newark Liberty International Airport, our New York-area hub. This multimillion-dollar space will offer travelers a best-in-class experience and is one of many ways we’re working to improve every step of our customers’ journey. Our new club will be truly one of a kind, and we look forward to sharing more details in the weeks ahead.
As a result of the construction, the carrier has closed its “pop-up” United Club near gate C124 — instead, customers are being directed to locations near gates C74 and C93, along with the newer outpost in Terminal A, which is connected to Terminal C by an airside bus.
The airline has yet to confirm a precise opening date, beyond sharing that the new United Club will open in 2021. For Newark-based frequent flyers, it couldn’t come too soon.
Featured photo of the United Club at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.