United begins construction on ‘one-of-a-kind’ Club at Newark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines operates two types of lounges at its Northeast hub, Newark Liberty International Airport. There’s a top-notch Polaris Lounge, with free a-la-carte dining, showers and a number of other amenities; and several United Club lounges, with fewer perks but far less restrictive access requirements.
I’ve found the carrier’s Newark (EWR) United Clubs to be especially crowded since the airline converted its largest NYC-area location into a Polaris Lounge, though. That’s led to frustration for members and customers who score access thanks to credit card perks, such as the two one-time passes that come as a benefit of the United Explorer Card.
Now, several years after Newark’s largest United Club closed, the airline has finally shared details about its replacement location. It will be positioned near Terminal C’s gate C124 and sport “sweeping views of the runway and the New York City skyline.”
As a United representative explained:
We’re excited to share that we’ve begun construction on the latest addition to our global United Club network with a brand-new location at Newark Liberty International Airport, our New York-area hub. This multimillion-dollar space will offer travelers a best-in-class experience and is one of many ways we’re working to improve every step of our customers’ journey. Our new club will be truly one of a kind, and we look forward to sharing more details in the weeks ahead.
As a result of the construction, the carrier has closed its “pop-up” United Club near gate C124 — instead, customers are being directed to locations near gates C74 and C93, along with the newer outpost in Terminal A, which is connected to Terminal C by an airside bus.
The airline has yet to confirm a precise opening date, beyond sharing that the new United Club will open in 2021. For Newark-based frequent flyers, it couldn’t come too soon.
Featured photo of the United Club at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees