Newark United Club Closes November 7, Rebrands as Polaris Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The rollout of United’s new Polaris Lounges has been much slower than most — including United itself — anticipated. After the first Polaris Lounge opened in Chicago (ORD) in 2016, the carrier laid out an optimistic plan for the opening of more of its lounges — Houston (IAH), Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO) were supposed to be open by mid-2017, and Washington Dulles (IAD) and Los Angeles (LAX) were going to open by the end of the year. However, here we are at the beginning of November and ORD is still the only Polaris Lounge with its doors open to travelers.
The delay isn’t news — we’ve known for a while that the next Polaris Lounge wasn’t going to open until 2018. But now, we have some more details about when and where the Polaris Lounge at Newark will open. As Edward Russell of FlightGlobal tweeted, the EWR Polaris Lounge will be located in what is currently the United Club by Gate C120. The current United Club will close on November 7, so it can be refurnished and rebranded as a Polaris Lounge. Once the renovations are complete, the former United Club will reopen as a brand new Polaris Lounge in summer 2018.
We reached out to United for confirmation, but have yet to hear back.
The current United Club near Gate C120, which is also close to United’s Classified restaurant, is one of two United Clubs in Terminal C at the carrier’s Newark hub. The other is located on the upper level of the Terminal, close to Gate 74, so United Club pass holders will still have access to one lounge in the Terminal. The closing of the United Club by gate C120 is just six days away — not much warning.
Currently, the United Club offers the basics — snacks, beer and wine, showers, Wi-Fi and more. If the already-opened Polaris Lounge at ORD is any indication, the EWR lounge should be a huge step up from what passengers are used to seeing in the space.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees