United’s Next Polaris Lounge Will Open in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most travelers passing through a United Airlines-operated airport lounge will visit a United Club. Some of the newer lounges are great, but others are forgettable at best.
But the carrier also offers an entirely different caliber of airport lounge, called the “Polaris Lounge.” Eventually, these will be available in a total of nine airports around the world, but for now, just one is ready to welcome guests, at Chicago O’Hare’s (ORD) Terminal 1. And, unfortunately, that’s the way it’ll stay for the rest of 2017.
That’s not what we expected, though — back at the Chicago lounge opening, United suggested that Polaris Lounges in Houston (IAH), Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO) should be open by the middle of this year, with Dulles (IAD) and Los Angeles (LAX) opening in late-2017 and Hong Kong (HKG), London (LHR) and Tokyo (NRT) either late this year or early 2018.
During a visit to a United Club at Newark last month, it became clear that things were running a bit behind schedule:
And now we know just how far behind…
According to United’s “Polaris Tracker” (and confirmed by airline reps), there won’t be any lounges opening in 2017 at all. Newark and San Francisco will still be next, but those won’t open until “early 2018,” along with the new Polaris Lounge in London.
Houston, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Washington, D.C. will now follow later in 2018, but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect some openings to get pushed back further — into 2019, perhaps. That’s not great news.
All of United’s announced 777-300ER routes will have begun long before the next Polaris Lounge opens up — none of which include service from Chicago, of course. So while you could route through Chicago to score some time in the lounge, note that you won’t end up flying the new seat — in fact, in many cases, you’ll end up in United’s oldest business-class seat, with a 2-4-2 arrangement on the 777-200.
See these posts for more on the United Polaris Club:
- Review: United Polaris Lounge (Chicago O’Hare)
- Review: United Polaris Lounge Chicago A La Carte Dining
- United Expanding Polaris Lounge in Chicago, Opening Other Locations by End of Year
Will United’s Polaris Lounge delay impact your travel plans?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees