United Expanding Polaris Lounge in Chicago, Opening Other Locations by End of Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Updated 7/10/17 12:30pm: A United representative confirmed that there won’t be any new lounges opening until “early 2018.” Read the full story here.
Last year, United launched its brand new business-class product, Polaris. And along with it, the carrier also opened its first Polaris lounge at its hub in Chicago (ORD). Just a few months after the lounge first opened, however, the airline is realizing that the lounge just isn’t quite big enough for the amount of Polaris-ticketed passengers trying to come through its doors. So, it’s going to expand.
According to the Chicago Business Journal, United is going to expand the Terminal 1 Polaris lounge at ORD by moving into a portion of the Concourse C United Club. The United Club is located right next door to the Polaris lounge in Concourse C, however, it’s been shut down since renovations on the Club began last year. So, at the moment, the two United lounge options in Terminal 1 are the United Club in Concourse B and the Polaris lounge.
According to a United spokeswoman, the Polaris lounge expansion is expected to be completed by the end of 2017. And, as for the United Club that it’s partially taking over, the renovated space will be ready to open at some point in early 2018. The Polaris lounge is seeing the most overcrowding during the peak times of early morning and late afternoon. Even though this lounge is expaning, it begs the question of what will happen if the new Concourse C United Club becomes overcrowded as well. Since the Polaris lounge is taking over part of the United Club next door, there’s a chance that could suffer from the same overcrowding issues with less space to offer travelers.
Also with this announcement, the spokeswoman released some exciting information about the future of the carrier’s Polaris lounges at other airports. The carrier plans to open its Polaris lounges at both Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO) by the end of the year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees