New York will renovate Penn Station during shelter-in-place
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced May 26 that the city would expedite construction on the new Empire Station at Pennsylvania Station while the city remains on coronavirus lockdown.
“The time to fix the hole in the roof is when the sun is shining,” Cuomo said during a May 26 press conference. “Now is the time to build, while the ridership is low and we need the jobs.”
According to a slide presented during the conference, the Empire Station Complex Project has created 14,500 total jobs to date.
Cuomo famously called Penn Station “a national laughingstock” back in 2016, saying that the outdated depot is “decrepit, and an affront to riders to use it.”
The Empire Project is the latest in a long line of reconstruction plans that have been proposed over the past 30 years by multiple leaders, all of which have been stymied or stalled for various reasons.
The current station was built in 1910 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, and has already been demolished and rebuilt once before, which relocated the station underground in 1969. Penn is the busiest train station in the Western Hemisphere, and currently serves as the main intercity railroad station in New York City.
Cuomo will visit the White House Wednesday, May 27, to discuss the building plans and project infrastructure which will link Penn Station, the new Moynihan Train Hall and a brand-new terminal which will be built one block south of the current Penn Station site.
Earlier this month, we learned Penn Station was being closed overnight for deep cleanings during the coronavirus outbreak.
TPG has reached out to Amtrak regarding possible plans for the new Empire Station, and will report back with any news updates. The railroad company is struggling from the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, however, and has asked Congress for a $1.5 billion bailout, reporting a 95 percent drop in ridership since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Washington Post.
Furthermore, Amtrak announced Tuesday in an internal memo that the company is preparing to cut 20% of its 18,000-plus workforce by October 2020, the beginning of its 2021 fiscal year, according to the Wall Street Journal.
During the same press conference, Cuomo also announced that the city would expedite the construction of a new LaGuardia Airport as well, a project that has created 8,000 jobs thus far.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees