This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some resorts have a swim-up bar attached to the pool, but the team behind the Lime Inn in the US Virgin Islands has taken the concept to a whole new level. On March 12, they opened an eco-friendly swim-up taco bar in the middle of the sea, and according to Coastal Living, it may be the first of its kind in the Caribbean.
Lime Out is floating 200 feet off of Hansen Bay Beach in St. John, so the owners recommend taking a boat or paddle board to get there. The lime green bar has one side that offers “drive-through-style” service for boats and a sea-level wooden bar with submerged bar stools on the other side.
In addition to popping bottles and pouring shots, bartenders shake up craft cocktails such as a grapefruit margarita and a Coco Colada with pineapple rum, pineapple juice and cream of coconut. Complementing the drinks are a selection of tacos, including fresh tuna tacos, shrimp tacos, green curry chicken tacos and tacos featuring Lime Inn’s famous rum ribs.
Basically, imagine a gourmet food truck, but floating in the gentle waves of the Caribbean.
As a bonus, Lime Out is solar-powered and only uses packaging that’s biodegradable, recyclable or reusable. You won’t find any straws or other single-use plastic here.
Ready to book a trip? Delta, American Airlines and JetBlue regularly fly from the East Coast to St. Thomas, the largest island in the US Virgin Islands. From there, you can take a ferry to St. John.
Caneel Bay — the luxurious resort opened by Laurance S. Rockefeller in 1956 — is still closed for post-hurricane renovations, but there are other great options in St. John. Consider staying at the Westin St. John Resort Villas, which reopened in January. It’s a Tier 7 property, so you’ll need between 50,000 and 70,000 Marriott Bonvoy points per night.
None of the island’s other properties have loyalty programs, but if you decide to stay at a resort like Gallows Point Resort or Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club, be sure to use your Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points on your reservation (or another card with a great return on travel purchases). Or, for the ultimate island-hopping adventure, charter a yacht by the Moorings and sail your way around the Virgin Islands. Moorings yachts come with a dinghy that will let you sail right up to Lime Out.
Featured photo courtesy of Lime Out VI.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees