There’s a New Swim-Up Taco Bar in the US Virgin Islands
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some resorts have a swim-up bar attached to the pool, but the team behind the Lime Inn in the US Virgin Islands has taken the concept to a whole new level. On March 12, they opened an eco-friendly swim-up taco bar in the middle of the sea, and according to Coastal Living, it may be the first of its kind in the Caribbean.
Lime Out is floating 200 feet off of Hansen Bay Beach in St. John, so the owners recommend taking a boat or paddle board to get there. The lime green bar has one side that offers “drive-through-style” service for boats and a sea-level wooden bar with submerged bar stools on the other side.
In addition to popping bottles and pouring shots, bartenders shake up craft cocktails such as a grapefruit margarita and a Coco Colada with pineapple rum, pineapple juice and cream of coconut. Complementing the drinks are a selection of tacos, including fresh tuna tacos, shrimp tacos, green curry chicken tacos and tacos featuring Lime Inn’s famous rum ribs.
Basically, imagine a gourmet food truck, but floating in the gentle waves of the Caribbean.
As a bonus, Lime Out is solar-powered and only uses packaging that’s biodegradable, recyclable or reusable. You won’t find any straws or other single-use plastic here.
Ready to book a trip? Delta, American Airlines and JetBlue regularly fly from the East Coast to St. Thomas, the largest island in the US Virgin Islands. From there, you can take a ferry to St. John.
Caneel Bay — the luxurious resort opened by Laurance S. Rockefeller in 1956 — is still closed for post-hurricane renovations, but there are other great options in St. John. Consider staying at the Westin St. John Resort Villas, which reopened in January. It’s a Tier 7 property, so you’ll need between 50,000 and 70,000 Marriott Bonvoy points per night.
None of the island’s other properties have loyalty programs, but if you decide to stay at a resort like Gallows Point Resort or Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club, be sure to use your Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points on your reservation (or another card with a great return on travel purchases). Or, for the ultimate island-hopping adventure, charter a yacht by the Moorings and sail your way around the Virgin Islands. Moorings yachts come with a dinghy that will let you sail right up to Lime Out.
Featured photo courtesy of Lime Out VI.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees