Keep an eye out for 3 new baby animals at Animal Kingdom this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Giraffes, hippos and gorillas — oh my! This summer, Disney World in Orlando welcomed three new babies to its Animal Kingdom park, and you can now see all of them while on your visit.
Want more news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
When baby animals are born at Animal Kingdom, they spend some private time with their mothers to bond and nurse. But eventually, the Disney team releases the name, sex and other details to the public as the animal’s official introduction to guests.
Humphrey, the newest Masai giraffe calf at Disney World, was born in June but only recently stepped out onto the savanna for the first time.
You can see him with his mother, Lily, and the rest of the giraffes while on Kilimanjaro Safaris. Disney’s Vice President of Animals, Science and Environment Dr. Mark Penning shared an Instagram post on Humphrey’s first day on the savanna, telling guests they can spot him by a unique butterfly marking over his right shoulder and heart-shaped markings on his coat.
In mid-July, Disney’s Animal Kingdom welcomed not one, but two additions born in the same week: a Nile hippopotamus calf and a western lowland gorilla.
Both sets of parents were paired through the Species Survival Plan, a program overseen by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The goal is to create healthy and genetically diverse populations of vulnerable or critically endangered species.
Disney has yet to release their names, but you can still potentially spot Tuma and her hippo calf on Kilimanjaro Safaris, or Azizi and her baby gorilla at Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail.
Being able to see the animals is one of the best parts of visiting Animal Kingdom, but being able to watch the babies run and splash and play is something truly special.
If you do have a trip planned to Disney World’s Animal Kingdom in the coming weeks, be sure to keep an eye out for these three adorable additions.
Featured photo by David Roark/Disney.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees