First Look at Amtrak’s New Acela Business and First Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For most of us who frequently travel between cities in the Northeast, Amtrak is a necessary evil. The country’s government-subsidized rail provider is plagued by frequent delays, overcrowded stations and trains, and — outside of the occasional advanced-purchase sale — outrageous one-way fares.
Recently, the company began making strides to improve passenger comfort by updating interiors, in a massive overhaul led by CEO Richard Anderson, who joined from Delta last year. Many cars have been updated throughout the country, but aside from slight tweaks, like assigned seating, Amtrak’s premium Acela service hasn’t gotten much love.
Fortunately, a big Acela upgrade is on the way. As we first learned about in 2016, Amtrak plans to begin rolling out refreshed train cars in 2021.
Business, the lowest class of service on Acela trains, will retain its current 2-2 arrangement.
There are leather seats in both business and first class, along with fold-out tables, power outlets and USB ports, and dedicated luggage storage areas.
First class will be arranged in a spacious 1-2 configuration.
There will be a mix of forward-facing seats, along with sets of single and paired seats that face each other.
Each car will have six LED screens, with train speed, location and conductor announcements.
The bathrooms will be getting a much-needed refresh, too. They hardly look luxurious, but there’s a noticeable improvement for sure. It’ll be up to passengers and crews to keep them feeling fresh, though.
If all goes to plan, you should begin seeing these new interiors within the next four years, with all of the new trains expected to be in service by 2022.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees