This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is joining the majority of the airline industry in one regard: assigned seating. The train’s passengers can now select seats on the Acela First Class product.
After plenty of customers requested the feature, Amtrak decided to make their passengers’ travels a bit more relaxing by ensuring the seat they choose. The company sent its Guest Rewards Select members a heads up on the new addition to Acela First Class via email, to which a loyal TPG reader tipped us off.
According to Amtrak’s statement, the feature is currently available on “select” trains, but more will be coming soon in anticipation for their new trains, which are scheduled to be bookable in 2021.
Right now, Amtrak will automatically assign you a seat, but on the trains that allow seat selection, you can modify the assignment up until the train’s departure on Amtrak’s mobile app or with a ticket agent.
If you choose to select your own seat on Acela First Class, you’ll have the options of “a single or double seat, a window or an aisle, or a two‑ or four‑person conference table.”
The move from Amtrak will likely be popular with passengers, especially after several negative changes the train company has made in recent months, including ending discounts for students and AAA members and making negative changes to its cancellation policies.
Featured image by Ann Hermes/The Christian Science Monitor via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards