Amtrak’s Acela First Class Gets Assigned Seating
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is joining the majority of the airline industry in one regard: assigned seating. The train’s passengers can now select seats on the Acela First Class product.
After plenty of customers requested the feature, Amtrak decided to make their passengers’ travels a bit more relaxing by ensuring the seat they choose. The company sent its Guest Rewards Select members a heads up on the new addition to Acela First Class via email, to which a loyal TPG reader tipped us off.
According to Amtrak’s statement, the feature is currently available on “select” trains, but more will be coming soon in anticipation for their new trains, which are scheduled to be bookable in 2021.
Right now, Amtrak will automatically assign you a seat, but on the trains that allow seat selection, you can modify the assignment up until the train’s departure on Amtrak’s mobile app or with a ticket agent.
If you choose to select your own seat on Acela First Class, you’ll have the options of “a single or double seat, a window or an aisle, or a two‑ or four‑person conference table.”
The move from Amtrak will likely be popular with passengers, especially after several negative changes the train company has made in recent months, including ending discounts for students and AAA members and making negative changes to its cancellation policies.
Featured image by Ann Hermes/The Christian Science Monitor via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.