Amtrak’s Acela First Class Gets Assigned Seating
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is joining the majority of the airline industry in one regard: assigned seating. The train’s passengers can now select seats on the Acela First Class product.
After plenty of customers requested the feature, Amtrak decided to make their passengers’ travels a bit more relaxing by ensuring the seat they choose. The company sent its Guest Rewards Select members a heads up on the new addition to Acela First Class via email, to which a loyal TPG reader tipped us off.
According to Amtrak’s statement, the feature is currently available on “select” trains, but more will be coming soon in anticipation for their new trains, which are scheduled to be bookable in 2021.
Right now, Amtrak will automatically assign you a seat, but on the trains that allow seat selection, you can modify the assignment up until the train’s departure on Amtrak’s mobile app or with a ticket agent.
If you choose to select your own seat on Acela First Class, you’ll have the options of “a single or double seat, a window or an aisle, or a two‑ or four‑person conference table.”
The move from Amtrak will likely be popular with passengers, especially after several negative changes the train company has made in recent months, including ending discounts for students and AAA members and making negative changes to its cancellation policies.
Featured image by Ann Hermes/The Christian Science Monitor via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees