Amtrak’s Acela First Class Gets Assigned Seating
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is joining the majority of the airline industry in one regard: assigned seating. The train’s passengers can now select seats on the Acela First Class product.
After plenty of customers requested the feature, Amtrak decided to make their passengers’ travels a bit more relaxing by ensuring the seat they choose. The company sent its Guest Rewards Select members a heads up on the new addition to Acela First Class via email, to which a loyal TPG reader tipped us off.
According to Amtrak’s statement, the feature is currently available on “select” trains, but more will be coming soon in anticipation for their new trains, which are scheduled to be bookable in 2021.
Right now, Amtrak will automatically assign you a seat, but on the trains that allow seat selection, you can modify the assignment up until the train’s departure on Amtrak’s mobile app or with a ticket agent.
If you choose to select your own seat on Acela First Class, you’ll have the options of “a single or double seat, a window or an aisle, or a two‑ or four‑person conference table.”
The move from Amtrak will likely be popular with passengers, especially after several negative changes the train company has made in recent months, including ending discounts for students and AAA members and making negative changes to its cancellation policies.
Featured image by Ann Hermes/The Christian Science Monitor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees