The Munich Airport Has Its Own Full-Fledged Christmas Market
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If visiting one of Germany’s famous Christmas markets has always been on your bucket list, we have good news: You don’t even need to leave the airport to scratch this one off if you’re flying into Munich (MUC).
Forgo Berlin and Nuremberg for the Munich airport, where you’ll find: 44 stalls, home to vendors selling everything from traditional foods to crafts; not one but TWO airport ice rinks where visitors can either channel their inner Adam Rippon (note: hitting the ice is free but there is a “small” fee for skate rentals) or try their hands at Eisstockschießen, the local version of curling; and nearly 500 real pine trees, including a 50-foot centerpiece adorned with some 5,000 lights. There’s even live music in the evenings from 6-8pm.
Now in its 20th year, the market runs from Nov. 17 to Dec. 26, welcoming both those passing through the airport and locals alike to do a little Christmas shopping. The whole shebang is set up outside security between airport terminals, and can be accessed via S-Bahn for those not taking to the skies. Parking is even free, up to five hours.
And Munich isn’t the only airport getting in on the holiday action: Airports from Singapore to LA have their own holiday festivities set up, hopefully making your next layover a little less painful. Just try to remember to leave some room in your suitcase for souvenirs when you do your packing.
H/T: Conde Nast Traveler
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.