The Munich Airport Has Its Own Full-Fledged Christmas Market
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If visiting one of Germany’s famous Christmas markets has always been on your bucket list, we have good news: You don’t even need to leave the airport to scratch this one off if you’re flying into Munich (MUC).
Forgo Berlin and Nuremberg for the Munich airport, where you’ll find: 44 stalls, home to vendors selling everything from traditional foods to crafts; not one but TWO airport ice rinks where visitors can either channel their inner Adam Rippon (note: hitting the ice is free but there is a “small” fee for skate rentals) or try their hands at Eisstockschießen, the local version of curling; and nearly 500 real pine trees, including a 50-foot centerpiece adorned with some 5,000 lights. There’s even live music in the evenings from 6-8pm.
Now in its 20th year, the market runs from Nov. 17 to Dec. 26, welcoming both those passing through the airport and locals alike to do a little Christmas shopping. The whole shebang is set up outside security between airport terminals, and can be accessed via S-Bahn for those not taking to the skies. Parking is even free, up to five hours.
And Munich isn’t the only airport getting in on the holiday action: Airports from Singapore to LA have their own holiday festivities set up, hopefully making your next layover a little less painful. Just try to remember to leave some room in your suitcase for souvenirs when you do your packing.
H/T: Conde Nast Traveler
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees