This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the third year in a row, Denver International Airport (DEN) opened its ice skating rink for travelers to enjoy. So, if you happen to be a little early for your flight this winter season, you can kick off your shoes, throw on some skates and hit the ice!
The rink is outside at the DEN Plaza, which is between the airport and The Westin. Both skating and skate rentals are completely free, so there’s no need to pack sharp skates in your carry-on! The rink will be open every day from 9am to 9pm until January 6, when the rink will be taken down. DEN tweeted about the installation yesterday, highlighting the first two skaters of the season: Ashlen and Chris from Boise, Idaho.
Whether you’ve just arrived in the city, you’re about to hop on a plane out or you’re on an ungodly layover, you’ll be able to break up your travel with a fun excursion. Who knows? Maybe you’ll do some plane spotting from the ice. But, if you don’t plan on traveling through Denver soon, you’re not out of luck.
Denver’s not the only city that’s brought unconventional attractions to its airport. Lately, several airports have introduced installations like the rink at Denver to make a typically stressful travel experience more enjoyable. Melbourne Airport (MEL), for one, installed a beer garden complete with draft beer and food trucks this summer, and back in August, Orlando International Airport (MCO) commemorated the life and death of Southwest peanuts with a temporary airport display.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards