New York City’s Moynihan Train Hall set to open on January 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For anyone who’s traveled through Pennsylvania Station in New York City, this news couldn’t come soon enough.
The long-awaited Moynihan Train Hall is set to open to travelers on Jan. 1, 2021. The new passenger hall is located across 8th Avenue from the existing Penn Station structure and is housed in the former James A. Farley Post Office building.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While just about anything would be considered a major upgrade from the existing Penn Station, this new space looks like it will truly be a quantum leap for rail travelers passing through the Western Hemisphere’s busiest train station.
Once it opens, you can expect — first and foremost — a spacious, light-filled atrium with large skylights and soaring ceilings, elements that are conspicuously absent at Penn Station. Moynihan will feature a new, combined ticketing and baggage area as well as amenities that all modern travelers expect, such as complimentary Wi-Fi throughout, a dedicated lounge for nursing mothers, comfortable seating options with access to USB and AC outlets and more.
There will also be a Metropolitan Lounge (these lounges used to be known as ClubAcela) for Amtrak elite members which will feature expanded food-and-beverage options, private restrooms, a family area, dedicated customer-service agents, priority boarding and more.
The new train hall will also be the home of the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) and will be open daily from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m. Anyone traveling during its nightly closure will need to use the facilities at Penn Station. Speaking of Penn, the existing station got a bit of an upgrade this summer, as well, with a new passenger waiting area complete with new furniture, tables, power outlets, and a dedicated family area.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic’s devastating effect on the travel industry, 2021 is shaping up to be an exciting year for Amtrak. It recently showed off videos of its brand-new high-speed Acela trainsets, which are currently undergoing real-life testing and are slated to begin carrying passengers in the latter part of next year.
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees