More American Airlines Flights Canceled at CLT on Wednesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The flight fiasco that has left tens of thousands of American Airlines passengers flying through Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) stranded and scrambling for information has continued into Wednesday.
PSA, American’s regional carrier, has canceled almost 2,800 flights in the past six days because of computer problems that interfered with the airline’s scheduling and tracking tools for its crews.
Charlotte PSA cancellations (Source: @FlightStats)
Wed June 20: 241
Tue June 19: 569
Mon June 18: 669
Sun June 17: 442
June 10-16: 1033
American’s Heartless Reaction (Source: JoeSentMe)
AA substitute flights: 0
Travel waivers issued: 0
— Joe Brancatelli (@joesentme) June 20, 2018
The computer glitch was stabilized on Tuesday morning, PSA said. “PSA anticipates running approximately 70 to 80 percent of its schedule today and close to a normal operation on Thursday,” American told TPG in an email. The carrier hopes to be back to normal operations by Thursday.
Thousands of passengers have been stuck at the airport waiting for updates from AA, and they’re not happy. Exacerbating the problem is the fact that AA’s flights are often booked to capacity. So a good chunk of canceled passengers have been stranded for days, scouring for an open seat on the flights leaving CLT.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department even charged one woman with damage to property for smashing a window near a valet parking station at the airport because she was upset over her flight cancellation.
— Stephanie Tinoco (@STinocoWSOC9) June 19, 2018
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.