American Airlines Flight Cancellation Meltdown at CLT Stretches Into Tuesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines regional carrier PSA, which operates 12% of AA’s 6,700 daily flights, continued to cancel all of its flights Tuesday.
The airline experienced technical issues beginning Thursday evening that continued into Monday. PSA’s computer systems experienced latency issues that caused the crew’s scheduling tools to slow down, which caused around 2,500 flight cancellations. Majority of the cancelations were in and out of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). PSA operates 45% of CLT’s flights.
PSA announced in a statement the airline has stabilized its computer systems and is working to get back on schedule. The carrier said it will be operating on a reduced schedule over the next few days until its computer systems are fully restored.
We did check our status, and it showed on-time. I got the cancellation call while standing in the Pre✅line. Gate agent said this was a known issue for at least 4 hours.
— TigerCPA (@tigercpa88) June 18, 2018
What does “next few days” mean? I have a PSA flight Friday morning…when will a call be made on its status?
— Dana (@DanaCGolightly) June 19, 2018
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.