Touring Mitsubishi’s SpaceJet M100, an Extra-Roomy 76-Seater
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, this new plane doesn’t fly at far higher altitudes, and it certainly won’t be leaving earth’s atmosphere. Mitsubishi’s landed on the name to emphasize the cabin’s spacious feel, with two variants. There’s the larger M90, which we’ve previously toured as the “Mitsubishi Regional Jet,” and a smaller version, the M100, which is far more likely to appeal to carriers in the US.
The manufacturer doesn’t yet have an M100 prototype to show off, but there was a cabin mock-up available at the show, giving journalists and potential airline customers a feel for what to expect.
The plane will be available in a variety of seating arrangements, though a US airline pilot agreement, known as the “scope clause,” generally limits regional jet configurations to 76 seats for US-based carriers, represented by the three-class configuration below.
Of course, just how much space you’ll get is up to the airlines — a seat width of 18.5 inches is standard, but carriers can choose to add or remove pitch depending on how many passengers they hope to accommodate.
TPG’s 5-foot-7-inch global news editor Emily McNutt had a chance to try out a few different seating configurations, starting with what Mitsubishi is calling “Premium Economy Class” — essentially regular coach, but with far more legroom.
33 inches of pitch is what you’re most likely to find in that extra-legroom section, as Emily models below.
31 inches is a common single-class economy configuration — the legroom below would enable airlines to offer 84 seats in an all-coach plane.
29 inches would be noticeably tighter, meanwhile, but allows for an extra row of seats — an option low-cost carriers may prefer.
The M100 has a range of 1,910 nautical miles, or about 2,200 miles — enough to handle just about any regional jet route flying within North America today. While Mitsubishi has yet to announce any orders, the company is reportedly in discussions with a US carrier, and expects to have a final aircraft ready by 2023.
Featured photo by Emily McNutt / The Points Guy. All other photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees