‘SpaceJets’: Mitsubishi Rebrands Its Regional Jet Line
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mitsubishi is rebranding its line of regional jets, using “SpaceJets” as the new name for its MRJ aircraft.
Mitsubishi is a relatively new player in the regional jet market, where it’s hoping to make inroads against more-established giants Bombardier and Embraer.
The first plane debuted by the company, now the SpaceJet M90, was originally known as the MRJ90 during development. The M90 will be the first SpaceJet aircraft to enter the commercial market, with deliveries scheduled to begin in 2020. It is currently being tested for operation by both Japanese authorities and the FAA in Washington state, where the company opened a new US headquarters in May.
The second plane is smaller and will be designated as the SpaceJet M100. The M100 grew out of the now-retired MRJ70 test configuration. Mitsubishi says the plane will be well suited for the American regional market in a three-class configuration, capable of transporting anywhere from 66 to 88 passengers, depending on the seating layout.
Mitsubishi claims its new aircraft will be quieter and more efficient than current options in the regional jet segment. The company also says the M100 would offer the most spacious cabin out of any available regional aircraft, with room for an overhead bag for every passenger.
The competitive regional jet marketplace could prove difficult for the Japanese manufacturer, said Samuel Engel, aviation specialist and vice president of the aviation group at the ICF consultancy.
“What they’re overlooking is that the 76-seat segment is currently full served and the current pilot negotiations are unlikely to lead to much change,” Engel said in a statement. “Mitsubishi is therefore limited to replacement aircraft in this segment.”
Engel also noted that it’s difficult to see how well Mitsubishi’s SpaceJets will fare against the competition until deliveries begin.
“The plane doesn’t actually exist yet; it’s still just on paper,” he said.
Still, FlightGlobal reports that Mitsubishi has already received more than 200 firm orders for their regional jets, with 15 coming from All Nippon Airlines and the rest from smaller regional operators internationally.
Featured Photo of an MRJ90 from Zach Honig, TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees