Millennials Really Like Working for These 2 Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millennials might have the stigma of being obsessed with selfies, fiends for avocado toast and sitting unemployed on Mom and Dad’s couch. But actually this generation, currently comprised of those aged 22 to 37 years old, is now the largest in the US workforce, making up 35% of all workers.
And apparently, they really enjoy working at airlines. Well, two specific US airlines to be exact.
In a recent study from job site Indeed, Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines ranked in the top 10 of millennials’ best-rated workplaces, at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively.
The top-10 companies all had several similar features, Indeed said, like offering opportunities for growth and providing good healthcare benefits — the top job benefit desired by millennials. Southwest, for instance, gives employees and their spouses up to $500 for taking steps to improve their health and well-being.
To determine millennials’ workplace rankings, Indeed’s data science team analyzed 72 million of the site’s ratings and reviews for companies. It’s not clear if the majority of good company reviews for the airlines came from millennials that work as cabin crew or in other capacities for the carriers. But it does seem that job seekers are eager to be a part of these airlines’ cabin crews. When Delta said it was hiring 1,200 flight attendants in 2017, it received 150,000 applications, meaning that fewer than 1% of applicants were actually hired.
As for pilot positions, they pay pretty well (ranking No. 15 on the list of the 25 highest-paying jobs, according to data from the US Department of Labor), and luckily, millennials might find more job openings to fly for both Delta and Southwest as an all-time high demand for commercial airline pilots takes hold in coming years.
Here is the full list of millennials’ best-rated workplaces from Indeed:
Featured image by MIGUEL MEDINA/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees