This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millennials might have the stigma of being obsessed with selfies, fiends for avocado toast and sitting unemployed on Mom and Dad’s couch. But actually this generation, currently comprised of those aged 22 to 37 years old, is now the largest in the US workforce, making up 35% of all workers.
And apparently, they really enjoy working at airlines. Well, two specific US airlines to be exact.
In a recent study from job site Indeed, Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines ranked in the top 10 of millennials’ best-rated workplaces, at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively.
The top-10 companies all had several similar features, Indeed said, like offering opportunities for growth and providing good healthcare benefits — the top job benefit desired by millennials. Southwest, for instance, gives employees and their spouses up to $500 for taking steps to improve their health and well-being.
To determine millennials’ workplace rankings, Indeed’s data science team analyzed 72 million of the site’s ratings and reviews for companies. It’s not clear if the majority of good company reviews for the airlines came from millennials that work as cabin crew or in other capacities for the carriers. But it does seem that job seekers are eager to be a part of these airlines’ cabin crews. When Delta said it was hiring 1,200 flight attendants in 2017, it received 150,000 applications, meaning that fewer than 1% of applicants were actually hired.
As for pilot positions, they pay pretty well (ranking No. 15 on the list of the 25 highest-paying jobs, according to data from the US Department of Labor), and luckily, millennials might find more job openings to fly for both Delta and Southwest as an all-time high demand for commercial airline pilots takes hold in coming years.
Here is the full list of millennials’ best-rated workplaces from Indeed:
Featured image by MIGUEL MEDINA/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*