Start your engines: New Arizona theme park to include Hot Wheels roller coaster
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Glendale, Arizona, will soon feature a Mattel-themed amusement park with rides based on some of the popular children’s brands for which the toymaker is best known.
Perhaps the most noteworthy are Hot Wheels, which will have its own roller coaster at the park, and Thomas & Friends, on which an indoor children’s theme park will be based, complete with an electric battery-powered Thomas the Tank Engine passenger train ride.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In addition to the Mattel attractions, plans include an 11-acre lagoon that’s up to 10 feet deep and surrounded by white sand beaches. Within the lagoon, seven islands will offer retail and dining venues; a 4-D theater; office space; more than 600 hotel rooms; and Aerophile’s Aerobar, a 130-foot-tall watering hole with sweeping views.
Local developer ECL Glendale, LLC, will head the project, dubbed Crystal Lagoons Island Resort. It will be built in the city’s Westgate entertainment district.
“We’re excited for this project on many fronts, but two really stand out,” said Glendale City Manager Kevin Phelps in a statement. “Not only will this be a great example of experiential retail, which is the only area of growth in brick and mortar development over the past 10 years, but this project further cements Westgate as the largest sports and entertainment district in Arizona.”
“An amenity of this magnitude adds to Westgate’s mega event appeal and will generate significant revenue to support residents, businesses and the state as a whole,” added Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers.
Located 30 minutes west of Phoenix, Glendale already boasts more than a dozen hotels and resorts, a drive-in movie theater and plenty of opportunities for antiquing.
It is also home to the Arizona Cardinals NFL team. Crystal Lagoons Island Resort’s construction, which was first proposed in 2019, is slated for completion in 2022, prior to the city’s hosting of the 2023 Super Bowl at State Farm Stadium, where the Cardinals play their regular-season home games.
After a year of shutdowns and restrictions, theme parks are back and booming. Check out our coverage on the latest mask rules, the hottest new rides and attractions and upcoming expansions at Disneyland and Universal for more information.
Featured screenshot courtesy of the City of Glendale.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees