Mastercard Will Refund Your Subway Fare This Summer With MTA’s New Contactless System
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now is a pretty sweet time to have a Mastercard.
Following the recent roll-out of “tap-and-go” contactless subway turnstiles in New York City, Mastercard is introducing Fareback Fridays — a program that will refund passengers for their trips every Friday in June and July if they use their contactless Mastercard method of payment at the subway turnstiles.
The promotion is active at any station between Grand Central and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center on the 4, 5 or 6 subway lines for a single-fare ride. But make sure be mindful of your free trips — refunds are limited to up to two rides per person per Friday. Mastercard will be refunding for cardholders using its debit, credit, or any Mastercard through a contactless-enabled device such as a smartphone or an Apple watch.
A one-way subway fare costs $2.75 (or $3 for a single-ride ticket), so this promotion could save you $5.50 per day (or $6 if you were doing two single-ride tickets). Not too shabby for a summer Friday commute.
The promotion ends on July 26, 2019.
Featured image by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees