Mastercard Will Refund Your Subway Fare This Summer With MTA’s New Contactless System
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now is a pretty sweet time to have a Mastercard.
Following the recent roll-out of “tap-and-go” contactless subway turnstiles in New York City, Mastercard is introducing Fareback Fridays — a program that will refund passengers for their trips every Friday in June and July if they use their contactless Mastercard method of payment at the subway turnstiles.
The promotion is active at any station between Grand Central and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center on the 4, 5 or 6 subway lines for a single-fare ride. But make sure be mindful of your free trips — refunds are limited to up to two rides per person per Friday. Mastercard will be refunding for cardholders using its debit, credit, or any Mastercard through a contactless-enabled device such as a smartphone or an Apple watch.
A one-way subway fare costs $2.75 (or $3 for a single-ride ticket), so this promotion could save you $5.50 per day (or $6 if you were doing two single-ride tickets). Not too shabby for a summer Friday commute.
The promotion ends on July 26, 2019.
Featured image by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.