Mastercard Will Refund Your Subway Fare This Summer With MTA’s New Contactless System
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now is a pretty sweet time to have a Mastercard.
Following the recent roll-out of “tap-and-go” contactless subway turnstiles in New York City, Mastercard is introducing Fareback Fridays — a program that will refund passengers for their trips every Friday in June and July if they use their contactless Mastercard method of payment at the subway turnstiles.
The promotion is active at any station between Grand Central and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center on the 4, 5 or 6 subway lines for a single-fare ride. But make sure be mindful of your free trips — refunds are limited to up to two rides per person per Friday. Mastercard will be refunding for cardholders using its debit, credit, or any Mastercard through a contactless-enabled device such as a smartphone or an Apple watch.
A one-way subway fare costs $2.75 (or $3 for a single-ride ticket), so this promotion could save you $5.50 per day (or $6 if you were doing two single-ride tickets). Not too shabby for a summer Friday commute.
The promotion ends on July 26, 2019.
Featured image by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.