The New York City Subway Is Finally Getting a Contactless Fare System
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Time to kiss your MetroCard goodbye! Or not, because that would be highly unsanitary.
But, starting May 31, the people of New York City will get to test out a new, contactless fare system that will allow passengers to simply tap through at the turnstile and pay per ride — no more swiping required. It’s called OMNY, and it will be functioning on all Staten Island buses and the 4, 5 and 6 lines between the Grand Central-42 Street and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center stations. The system will work with contactless debit or credit cards, as well as mobile devices and wearables set up with a mobile wallet.
If you’re wondering if contactless entry will work for you, take a look at your credit or debit card. Does it have a symbol that looks sort of like a sideways Wi-Fi icon? If it does, you have an EMV chip-equipped contactless card and can enter the subway just by tapping it against the turnstile screen.
If you don’t, you may be able to request a new card from your bank or credit card company.
With the new contactless system, you can also use your card through your smart device by linking your preferred payment method to one of your digital wallets, such as Apple or Google Pay. Just make sure you’re using a card that gets a high return on travel purchases, as train fares typically code as travel.
Related: The Best Cards for Travel Purchases
Google also announced companion features that will go hand-in-hand with OMNY. Starting May 23, New York City public transportation users can ask Google Assistant for an ETA of the next train by asking: “Hey, Google, when is the next 4 train arriving?” Or, “Hey, Google, when is the next train?”
While the system is still in its early, experimental stages, the MTA plans on having OMNY available throughout the entire subway system and on all bus routes by late 2020 on a full-fare, pay-per-ride basis. They also plan on eventually adding additional fare options such as time-based passes, reduced fares, student fares and more. According to some sources, including Untapped Cities, a contactless transit card will one day be available, too.
Old-fashioned MetroCards will remain until the new system is completely integrated and, if you remember the ye olde days of subway tokens, there will probably be a substantial grace period before swiping at the turnstile is a thing of the past.
The MTA also stated that “cash will always be an option” for access to MTA services.
Featured image by Jordan Sirek/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees