Marriott reinstates elite benefit guarantees effective immediately
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The hotel industry was hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak. Many properties closed — some temporarily and others permanently — while the ones that remained open were forced to rethink the guest experience and ramp up cleaning procedures.
In March, Marriott suspended its brand standards and elite benefit guarantees to ease the burden on struggling properties. Normally, hotels (especially upscale, luxury properties) have strict standards set out by Marriott corporate that they have to adhere to. Not doing so can lead to fines or potentially even removal from the brand. These brand standards cover everything from the toiletries in your room to the benefits offered to elite members and much more.
The suspension was initially only supposed to last until the beginning of July 2020 but kept getting extended. That’s changing today.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
With many hotels reopened and adjusted to the new normal, Marriott Bonvoy announced today that it’s reinstating its elite guarantee effective immediately.
This means that eligible elites are once again guaranteed benefits like free breakfast, lounge access or guaranteed room type. When these benefits are not honored, elite members are entitled to a specific amount of compensation (in the form of cash or points). While many properties still offered these benefits during the suspension, they were under no obligation to do so.
In its announcement, Marriott Bonvoy notes, “based on day-to-day business conditions at individual hotels and/or government regulations, properties may offer a breakfast alternative when lounges and restaurants are closed such as grab and go or credit for food and beverage purchases on property.”
As has always been the case, the lounge and welcome gift elite benefits vary by brand and geographic region.
Marriott Bonvoy’s elite benefit guarantees were suspended for almost a year but are finally back. Elite travelers can once again expect their usual benefits or get compensation when they’re not available.
In addition to this news, earlier today, Marriott announced it’s making it easier to qualify for status this year. Like last year, current elites will receive 50% of the elite nights needed to qualify for the elite status that they held in 2020. Additionally, in mid-February, Marriott will launch a global promotion that will allow members to earn double the number of points and elite night credits for all stays of two nights or more.
Featured image of the Ritz-Carlton South Beach by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees