Marriott free night awards extended through Jan. 3, 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been accumulating Marriott free night awards and points but aren’t quite ready to redeem them, there’s some great news for you: Marriott is extending all free night awards through Jan. 3, 2022. The new change will go into effect on May 6 and impact all free night awards set to expire before Jan. 2, 2022. In addition, Marriott is pausing point expiration through March 31, 2022.
Marriott points normally expire after 24 months of inactivity. As part of the last round of extensions, point expiration was also paused through Aug. 1, 2021. Now, members get an extra seven months to keep their accounts active.
This is the third time Marriott has extended the expiration date on free night awards. The last time, these certificates were extended through Aug. 1, 2021. Now Marriott is tacking on an extra five months to give members more time to plan their post-pandemic vacations.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Which free night awards are extended?
This extension applies to any free night award earned through a co-branded Marriott credit card, Annual Choice Benefit, promotion or travel package. If your free night awards had a 2020 expiration date, they’re now valid through Jan. 3, 2022. The new expiration date will be reflected on your account on May 6, 2021.
A recap of all Marriott extensions
Marriott announced multiple status, point, and free night extensions over the last year. If you’re having trouble keeping track of all the expiration dates, here’s a timeline to make that easier
Marriott Bonvoy Suite Night Awards: Dec. 31, 2021
Platinum or Titanium elite members have until Dec. 31, 2021 to redeem Suite Night Awards that originally expired on Dec. 31, 2020.
Marriott elite status extension: February 2022
All Bonvoy members’ elite status has been extended through February 20222.
Marriott free night awards: Jan. 3, 2022
Marriott free night awards set to expire before Jan. 2, 2022 are now valid through Jan. 3, 2022.
Marriott point expiration: March 31, 2022
With the U.S. on track to vaccinate all adults by May 2021, there is expected to be a huge surge in summer travel demand. The European Union has already announced plans to welcome vaccinated travelers and several airlines have offered low fares for the summer and beyond.
While the original Aug. 1, 2021 deadline would have been sufficient, it’s certainly nice that Marriott is offering members extra time to put their free nights and hotel points to use.
Featured image of the W Osaka Room courtesy of Marriott
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.