Marriott Bonvoy extends expiration of free-night certificates and points through Aug. 1, 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the coronavirus pandemic lasting longer than expected, airlines and hotels have begun announcing second rounds of extensions to loyalty benefits.
Earlier this month, Hyatt became the first major hotel chain to extend loyalty perks again.
And now, Marriott’s following suit with a second round of extensions. Here’s everything you need to know.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Marriott extending free night awards
At the onset of the pandemic, Marriott announced that it would be extending any free-night certificates originally set to expire in 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. That’s now been extended through Aug. 1, 2021. Additionally, more recently-issued certificates set to expire before July 31, 2021 will be extended through that date as well. However, certificates with an original expiration date prior to 2020 are not eligible for the additional extension.
This extension applies to certificates earned through Marriott’s cobranded cards, annual choice benefits and other promotions. For a limited time, you can earn five free nights (up to 50,000 points per night) by signing up for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card and spending $5,000 in the first three months.
Keep in mind, Aug. 1 is your travel-by date, not your book by date. In addition, this change is effective Dec. 11, 2020 — meaning that it’ll be several weeks until you see these new expiration dates reflected in your Bonvoy account.
Marriott extending point expiration
Marriott has previously announced that point expiration had been paused through Feb. 2021. That window has now been extended until Aug. 1 as well. This is great news for those with inactive accounts and no plans to earn or redeem points to extend their validity in the near future. Marriott points normally expire after 24 months of inactivity.
It’s nice to see that a second wave of extensions to loyalty benefits has begun while coronavirus remains a threat. While any current Marriott elite status has been extended through Feb. 2022, like Hyatt, Marriott hasn’t announced any changes to earning status in 2021 for the 2022 program year yet.
And with cases still on the rise in many countries around the world, it’s likely that this isn’t the last update we’ll see in the weeks and months to come.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees