Marriott Bonvoy extends expiration of free-night certificates and points through Aug. 1, 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the coronavirus pandemic lasting longer than expected, airlines and hotels have begun announcing second rounds of extensions to loyalty benefits.
Earlier this month, Hyatt became the first major hotel chain to extend loyalty perks again.
And now, Marriott’s following suit with a second round of extensions. Here’s everything you need to know.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Marriott extending free night awards
At the onset of the pandemic, Marriott announced that it would be extending any free-night certificates originally set to expire in 2020 through Jan. 31, 2021. That’s now been extended through Aug. 1, 2021. Additionally, more recently-issued certificates set to expire before July 31, 2021 will be extended through that date as well. However, certificates with an original expiration date prior to 2020 are not eligible for the additional extension.
This extension applies to certificates earned through Marriott’s cobranded cards, annual choice benefits and other promotions. For a limited time, you can earn five free nights (up to 50,000 points per night) by signing up for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card and spending $5,000 in the first three months.
Keep in mind, Aug. 1 is your travel-by date, not your book by date. In addition, this change is effective Dec. 11, 2020 — meaning that it’ll be several weeks until you see these new expiration dates reflected in your Bonvoy account.
Marriott extending point expiration
Marriott has previously announced that point expiration had been paused through Feb. 2021. That window has now been extended until Aug. 1 as well. This is great news for those with inactive accounts and no plans to earn or redeem points to extend their validity in the near future. Marriott points normally expire after 24 months of inactivity.
It’s nice to see that a second wave of extensions to loyalty benefits has begun while coronavirus remains a threat. While any current Marriott elite status has been extended through Feb. 2022, like Hyatt, Marriott hasn’t announced any changes to earning status in 2021 for the 2022 program year yet.
And with cases still on the rise in many countries around the world, it’s likely that this isn’t the last update we’ll see in the weeks and months to come.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.