Have top-tier Marriott status? You may be able to gift Platinum status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott Bonvoy made a slew of announcements this week. In addition to removing award charts in favor of dynamic pricing, it shared that it would extend all current elite status levels by another year. However, it still wants to reward those who requalified for top-tier elite status the “hard way” this year.
One way it’s doing this is by giving some top-tier Ambassador Elites elites the opportunity to gift free elite status to a loved one.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Gifting Marriott elite status
Qualifying for Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite status is no easy feat.
It normally requires a whopping 100 elite-qualifying nights and $20,000 in qualifying spending, though that’s been reduced to $14,000 for 2021. If you’re able to accomplish this before the end of the year, you’ll be invited to gift Platinum status to a family member in January 2022.
Marriott Platinum isn’t something to shake a stick at, it’s one of the more valuable status levels in Marriott’s program. It normally requires 50 nights and unlocks perks like free breakfast at many brands, lounge access and potential suite upgrades. Altogether, TPG values Platinum status at over $2,600, assuming you travel enough to actually make use of it.
This offer is separate from Marriott’s annual choice benefits, which allows eligible elites to gift Silver or Gold elite status to someone else. Marriott’s latest email to Ambassador elites specifically teased at gifting status to a family member. But if past years’ status gifting offers are any indication, you’ll likely be able to choose a friend or colleague instead with no specific family relationship required. Any gifted status will be valid through February 2023.
This isn’t the first time we’ve seen Marriott let Ambassador Elites gift Platinum Elite status to another member. Marriott ran the same promotion in 2020, so it’s great to see them bring it back.
Additionally, Marriott confirmed that Ambassador Elite status will again require $20,000 in qualified spending next year.
While Ambassador status might not be as valuable as it once was, having the opportunity to gift Platinum status to someone is a nice gesture for sure — assuming you have requalified the hard way and are eligible. Platinum status can make your relative’s hotel stays far more comfortable when you’re not traveling with them.
Around this time last year, Hilton offered a similar status gifting opportunity for all of its top-tier elites — regardless of whether they requalified the “hard way.” We’ll have to wait and see if it brings back a similar offer this holiday season.
Featured photo of the St. Regis Langkawi by Ethan Steinberg.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees