Mallorca and Ibiza are cracking down on pub crawls, happy hour and party boats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Pour one out for your happy hour on your Spanish vacation — if you’re traveling to Mallorca or Ibiza, that is.
The popular party and tourist destinations (specifically the areas of Arenal and Magaluf, Mallorca, and San Antonio’s West End on Ibiza) just passed new restrictions on parties and alcohol in a first-of-its-kind ruling. Pub crawls have been completely banned, as have advertisements that promote the consumption of alcohol, free bars and happy hours. And you can now only buy alcohol between 8 a.m. and 9:30 p.m.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The government of the Balearic Islands is also cracking down on party boats and “balconing” — when someone jumps between a balcony and a swimming pool — which has caused a handful of deaths. So really, it’s no wonder authorities are trying to ban this incredibly dangerous activity. The government has also suspended granting party boat licenses and imposed restrictions on activity in certain areas.
You can expect the new restrictions to be in effect for at least the next five years, and tourists who violate the provisions could be immediately expelled from the venue. And fines for even the most minor offenses range from 1,000 euros (about $1,110) 6,000 euros (nearly $6,660).
Of course, it’s considered a serious offense not just for the person who breaks the rule, but for the person — or establishment — who allowed it to happen, too.
The government believes these behaviors, “most of which are directly related to alcohol abuse, in certain tourist areas of Mallorca and Ibiza,” may have tarnished the region’s reputation, as well as public and private investments. It also hopes that its position in an “increasingly competitive and global market” will improve as a result of these measures.
These new regulations follow a series of measures across Europe designed to prevent tourists from behaving badly. In fact, Mallorca cracked down on drinking in Palma early last year. This past summer, Rome enforced new laws aimed at tourists that also prohibited pub crawls, among other restrictions. Back in 2018, Venice considered a nightly ban on public alcohol consumption after 7 p.m. and, more recently, two tourists were fined over $6,000 for skinny-dipping in a canal.
As you start planning your travels this year, wherever they may take you, remember to always be polite and respectful of the people and establishments you encounter. So please, stop jumping off balconies into swimming pools.
Featured image by Alex Tihonov/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.