Mallorca and Ibiza are cracking down on pub crawls, happy hour and party boats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Pour one out for your happy hour on your Spanish vacation — if you’re traveling to Mallorca or Ibiza, that is.
The popular party and tourist destinations (specifically the areas of Arenal and Magaluf, Mallorca, and San Antonio’s West End on Ibiza) just passed new restrictions on parties and alcohol in a first-of-its-kind ruling. Pub crawls have been completely banned, as have advertisements that promote the consumption of alcohol, free bars and happy hours. And you can now only buy alcohol between 8 a.m. and 9:30 p.m.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The government of the Balearic Islands is also cracking down on party boats and “balconing” — when someone jumps between a balcony and a swimming pool — which has caused a handful of deaths. So really, it’s no wonder authorities are trying to ban this incredibly dangerous activity. The government has also suspended granting party boat licenses and imposed restrictions on activity in certain areas.
You can expect the new restrictions to be in effect for at least the next five years, and tourists who violate the provisions could be immediately expelled from the venue. And fines for even the most minor offenses range from 1,000 euros (about $1,110) 6,000 euros (nearly $6,660).
Of course, it’s considered a serious offense not just for the person who breaks the rule, but for the person — or establishment — who allowed it to happen, too.
The government believes these behaviors, “most of which are directly related to alcohol abuse, in certain tourist areas of Mallorca and Ibiza,” may have tarnished the region’s reputation, as well as public and private investments. It also hopes that its position in an “increasingly competitive and global market” will improve as a result of these measures.
These new regulations follow a series of measures across Europe designed to prevent tourists from behaving badly. In fact, Mallorca cracked down on drinking in Palma early last year. This past summer, Rome enforced new laws aimed at tourists that also prohibited pub crawls, among other restrictions. Back in 2018, Venice considered a nightly ban on public alcohol consumption after 7 p.m. and, more recently, two tourists were fined over $6,000 for skinny-dipping in a canal.
As you start planning your travels this year, wherever they may take you, remember to always be polite and respectful of the people and establishments you encounter. So please, stop jumping off balconies into swimming pools.
Featured image by Alex Tihonov/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees