Skinny-dipping in a Venice canal cost these 2 tourists more than $6,600
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two Czech tourists really made a splash on Monday night when they decided to go for a little dip in the buff near the Piazza San Marco in Venice. According to CNN, they decided to do so because it was “a particularly warm evening.” Police said the incident involved “two men, completely nude, intent on laughing and joking with each other, and trying to catch the attention of passersby.”
They were visiting Italy for a soccer match between Slavia Prague and Inter Milan — and ultimately, fined around 3,000 euros (about $3,320) each for “obscene behavior.”
Officials were alerted to the behavior by people walking by the canal and, originally, thought they were in trouble. When they realized what was going on, they immediately made the naked tourists get dressed and brought them down to the station.
The city of Venice has really been cracking down on tourists behaving badly, following a string of incidents similar to this one. In 2018, Venice’s mayor signed an ordinance to separate tourists from local residents, calling the policies “urgent measures to guarantee public safety, security and livability in the historic city of Venice.”
Last September, the city was considering a nightly ban on public alcohol consumption after 7 p.m., and earlier this year, it enforced a day fee on visitors.
In fact, Venice isn’t the only Italian city trying to combat some of the ill effects of overtourism. This past summer, Rome enforced a slew of strict bans in an effort to combat some not-so-responsible tourist behavior.
If you are planning a trip to Venice (or anywhere in the world), you’ll want to make sure you’re on your best behavior. And whatever you do, just save the swimming for an actual pool.
Featured image courtesy Courtesy bluejayphoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees