Venice Tourists, Beware of Being Charged $1,200 for Lunch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Four university students visiting Venice experienced a rude shock when their simple meal of steak, fish and mineral water cost them €970 ($1,202.58 USD).
The students paid their bill at restaurant Osteria da Luca, near St. Mark’s Square, on January 19, but filed a complaint with Venice police after returning to their university in Bologna, a few hours away.
Newspaper Corriere del Veneto shared receipts from a number of Osteria da Luca customers who had experienced similar price gouges, including one line item for a €166 ($205.80) risotto entree.
The mayor of Venice, Luigi Brugnaro, has vowed to crack down on the outrageous prices, saying, “If this disgraceful episode is confirmed, we’ll do all we can to punish those responsible. We are for justice — always.”
“This is just the latest case of many of this kind,” said Marco Gasparinetti, a spokesman for the April 25 Group, a Venice-based organization of supporters of the city, according to The Telegraph. (The group is named after the day when Venetians celebrate the feast of St. Mark, the city’s patron saint.)
Osteria da Luca is not the only offending establishment in town. Luke Tang, a university lecturer from Birmingham, Great Britain, complained after he and his parents were charged $652 for lunch, also near St. Mark’s Square. Tang said he and his elderly parents had been billed for a number of items they did not order.
“I do not expect there will be any refund, but I wanted to draw your attention (to) the behavior of this business,” Tang said in a letter to the mayor. “(This) will ruin the reputation of Venice. It is disgraceful and indeed the shame of Venice.”
The April 25 Group has warned tourists to beware of increased opportunity for rip-offs as the annual Carnival of Venice commences, saying, “Whoever jeopardizes the good name of Venice harms all Venetians.”
Featured photo by @adistar via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees