Last Call: Mallorca Cracks Down on Drinking in Palma, Bans Happy Hour
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Enjoy your €5 mojito on Playa de Palma while you can — because, after April 1, the Mallorcan government is instating a new, strict drinking policy on the island.
The new rules affect specific areas in and around the island’s capital city, Palma including Cala Major, Center, Paseo Maritimo and the entirety of Playa de Palma. The policies will also focus primarily on the “incitement” of alcohol consumption. Meaning that bars, restaurants and hotels will have to nix any and all of their drinking deals including happy hour or any two-for-one deals. Bars will also be banned from displaying alcohol on shelves.
Palma tourists will also be feeling the heat from the new policies as well. In fact, visitors can face fines up to €3,000 for “antisocial behavior” (like being a drunken mess, for example), or causing a public disturbance. Laws like these are nothing new to high-traffic tourist areas. In Italy, for example, Venice has nightly ban on public alcohol consumption after 7pm.
The new policies are also coming amid a discussion among the Balearic Islands on whether they should limit alcohol served as part of all-inclusive resort packages. “This proposed law will help crack down on antisocial drinking and the associated problems this brings,” Bel Busquet, vice president and Balearic Island minister for innovation, research and tourism, told The Independent. “While we want visitors to enjoy their holidays, we want to endorse responsible drinking.”
However, this law, if passed, wouldn’t come into effect until at least 2022.
Luckily, for now, the fun doesn’t have to end completely. Hyatt rewards members visiting Mallorca can stay at the (TPG approved) Park Hyatt Mallorca. Located far outside of Palma, rest assured that happy hour isn’t canceled there.
Featured photo by Westend61 via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees