Lufthansa grounds Germanwings subsidiary, retires some A380s and 747s in coronavirus restructuring
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the group’s first restructuring package unveiled on Tuesday, it said that it would ground Germanwings operations as part of a broader overhaul that would also see operations cut across other parts of the business. The group said that the decision was part of its evaluation that the post-coronavirus recovery would take years.
“The Executive Board of Deutsche Lufthansa AG does not expect the aviation industry to return to pre-coronavirus crisis levels very quickly,” Lufthansa Group said in a statement. “According to its assessment, it will take months until the global travel restrictions are completely lifted and years until the worldwide demand for air travel returns to pre-crisis levels.”
To stay up to date on news like this, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Germanwings had a fleet of 15 A319 aircraft, according to Planespotters.net. Most recently, Germanwings operated under the Eurowings umbrella on some of its short-haul flights.
In addition to grounding Germanwings operations, Lufthansa Group said 18 Lufthansa aircraft would be permanently retired. That group of aircraft includes six Airbus A380s, which it had already planned to sell back to Airbus, seven A340-600s and five 747-400s. In addition, it’s taking 11 of its short-haul A320s out of operation.
With that decision, Lufthansa also will be reducing capacity at its hubs in Frankfurt and Munich.
Lufthansa CityLine is withdrawing three A340-300s from service, and Eurowings is phasing out 10 of its A320s.
“Germanwings flight operations will be discontinued. All options resulting from this are to be discussed with the respective unions,” the company said in a statement.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees