There’s a surprise hidden under coach on Lufthansa’s A340-600
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to access most of the special airplane treats you’ll read about on TPG — inflight bars, first-class showers, suites with separate beds? You’ll likely need a premium-cabin ticket. For this particular onboard surprise, however, you only need to get yourself on the right plane.
In addition to a bank of five lavatories, which are noticeably larger than what you’ll find in coach on most planes, the lower section of Lufthansa‘s A340-600 sports a dedicated crew rest, with room for seven off-duty flight attendants. Now-defunct Thomas Cook had a similar lavatory arrangement on its Airbus A330s.
Hoping to catch the A340-600 yourself? Lufthansa currently operates 17 of these extra-long planes. Aircraft assignments vary depending on the season and date, but, recently, the airline has flown its A346 on the following U.S. routes:
- Frankfurt (FRA)—Chicago (ORD)
- Frankfurt (FRA)—New York (JFK)
- Frankfurt (FRA)—San Francisco (SFO)
- Munich (MUC)—Boston (BOS)
- Munich (MUC)—Chicago (ORD)
- Munich (MUC)—Los Angeles (LAX)
- Munich (MUC)—New York (JFK)
I wouldn’t go so far as to call this a special amenity — it’s a bank of fairly standard economy lavatories, after all — but, for enthusiasts, at least, it could be worth seeking out this plane for the novelty of being able to walk up and down a flight of stairs at 30,000 feet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees