There’s a surprise hidden under coach on Lufthansa’s A340-600
Want to access most of the special airplane treats you’ll read about on TPG — inflight bars, first-class showers, suites with separate beds? You’ll likely need a premium-cabin ticket. For this particular onboard surprise, however, you only need to get yourself on the right plane.
In addition to a bank of five lavatories, which are noticeably larger than what you’ll find in coach on most planes, the lower section of Lufthansa‘s A340-600 sports a dedicated crew rest, with room for seven off-duty flight attendants. Now-defunct Thomas Cook had a similar lavatory arrangement on its Airbus A330s.
Hoping to catch the A340-600 yourself? Lufthansa currently operates 17 of these extra-long planes. Aircraft assignments vary depending on the season and date, but, recently, the airline has flown its A346 on the following U.S. routes:
- Frankfurt (FRA)—Chicago (ORD)
- Frankfurt (FRA)—New York (JFK)
- Frankfurt (FRA)—San Francisco (SFO)
- Munich (MUC)—Boston (BOS)
- Munich (MUC)—Chicago (ORD)
- Munich (MUC)—Los Angeles (LAX)
- Munich (MUC)—New York (JFK)
I wouldn’t go so far as to call this a special amenity — it’s a bank of fairly standard economy lavatories, after all — but, for enthusiasts, at least, it could be worth seeking out this plane for the novelty of being able to walk up and down a flight of stairs at 30,000 feet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.