Lonely Planet Names Sri Lanka the Top Country to Visit in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel trendsetters, listen up. In what Lonely Planet has called Sri Lanka’s “moment in the equatorial sun,” the island nation off the southern tip of India has been officially named the No. 1 country to visit in 2019.
Now on its fourteenth year of publishing, Lonely Planet’s “Best in Travel” guide says Sri Lanka nabbed the top spot because it is “notable to intrepid travellers for its mix of religions and cultures, its timeless temples, its rich and accessible wildlife, its growing surf scene and its people who defy all odds by their welcome and friendliness after decades of civil conflict.”
This is a hallmark moment for Sri Lanka’s recovery from its decades-long civil war and 2004 tsunami. However, the country, which is still in the process of rebuilding, seems to have hit the traveler’s sweet-spot according to Lonely Planet. “There’s now more than ever for families, adrenaline junkies, eco-tourists, wellness seekers and foodies of all budgets,” says LP in a press release. “Even the north and east, including areas previously off limits, difficult to reach or lacking in services, deliver new discoveries.”
One of the highlights LP covers in its Sri Lanka section is its one-of-a-kind cuisine, which fuses flavors from neighboring countries while providing unique, flavorful twists. The guide also mentions the many immersive, beautiful train rides the country has to offer. The route from Kandy to Ella is TPG bucket-list approved — and first class tickets go for the low price of only $6.
Among the remaining top five countries to visit in 2019 are Germany, Zimbabwe, Panama and Kyrgzstan. Meanwhile, the title of No. 1 city to visit in 2019 went to the “Scandi cool” Copenhagen, Denmark.
Featured image by by EyesWideOpen/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.