Lonely Planet Names Sri Lanka the Top Country to Visit in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel trendsetters, listen up. In what Lonely Planet has called Sri Lanka’s “moment in the equatorial sun,” the island nation off the southern tip of India has been officially named the No. 1 country to visit in 2019.
Now on its fourteenth year of publishing, Lonely Planet’s “Best in Travel” guide says Sri Lanka nabbed the top spot because it is “notable to intrepid travellers for its mix of religions and cultures, its timeless temples, its rich and accessible wildlife, its growing surf scene and its people who defy all odds by their welcome and friendliness after decades of civil conflict.”
This is a hallmark moment for Sri Lanka’s recovery from its decades-long civil war and 2004 tsunami. However, the country, which is still in the process of rebuilding, seems to have hit the traveler’s sweet-spot according to Lonely Planet. “There’s now more than ever for families, adrenaline junkies, eco-tourists, wellness seekers and foodies of all budgets,” says LP in a press release. “Even the north and east, including areas previously off limits, difficult to reach or lacking in services, deliver new discoveries.”
One of the highlights LP covers in its Sri Lanka section is its one-of-a-kind cuisine, which fuses flavors from neighboring countries while providing unique, flavorful twists. The guide also mentions the many immersive, beautiful train rides the country has to offer. The route from Kandy to Ella is TPG bucket-list approved — and first class tickets go for the low price of only $6.
Among the remaining top five countries to visit in 2019 are Germany, Zimbabwe, Panama and Kyrgzstan. Meanwhile, the title of No. 1 city to visit in 2019 went to the “Scandi cool” Copenhagen, Denmark.
Featured image by by EyesWideOpen/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees