London Heathrow installs anti-drone system to detect potential disruptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The product, manufactured by Thales SA, detects and identifies drones when they enter the airspace. The radar system can detect drones as far as 3.1 miles away in all directions. If it detects a drone around the airspace, the airport can then opt to deploy countermeasures.
Representatives for Thales wouldn’t say what Heathrow plans to use as its countermeasures. A spokesperson for the airport also declined comment.
Elsewhere in the world, countermeasures have included disruptive radio waves, dispatching eagles or deploying nets to pull devices out of the skies.
According to Bloomberg, drone-disabling technology was not part of Thales’ contract with Heathrow.
In March 2019, legislation took effect that prohibits drones from flying within any Flight Restriction Zone, which extends to 5 kilometres (3.1 miles) from U.K. airports. Drone operators who operate their devices within an airport’s perimeter face a prison sentence of up to five years.
Heathrow’s new detection system is the same one that’s already in use at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport.
The introduction of the drone detection technology follows several reports of drones at airports around London, including at Gatwick and Heathrow. In September, London police arrested two climate protestors who were using drones in an attempt to close LHR operations. In December 2018, Gatwick airport was closed for more than 24 hours around the busy holiday travel season when there were multiple drone sightings near the runway.
Featured photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.