Heathrow, Gatwick Airports Are Getting Anti-Drone Technology
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London’s two biggest airports, Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick (LGW), will install anti-drone technology after a series of reported drone sighting shutdown LGW for several days during the busy Christmas travel season.
The airports are investing millions of dollars in the new technology, HuffPostUK reports, to prevent similar widespread flight interruptions. Although the airports haven’t disclosed the specific equipment they’ll be using to shut out future drones, one technology thought to now be in use at Gatwick is an anti-drone dome.
That equipment has a range of several miles and uses radar to detect and jam drone signals so the devices cannot communicate with their operators. It was reportedly deployed on a roof at Gatwick.
“Working closely with relevant authorities including the Met Police, we are constantly looking at the best technologies that help remove the threat of drones,” a spokesperson for Heathrow told HuffPost.
The recent drone sightings at Gatwick wreaked havoc on the airport from Dec. 19 to 21. The airport, which is the second busiest in all of Britain, was closed for 36 hours over the three-day stretch, and thousands of flights were canceled.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.