This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London’s two biggest airports, Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick (LGW), will install anti-drone technology after a series of reported drone sighting shutdown LGW for several days during the busy Christmas travel season.
The airports are investing millions of dollars in the new technology, HuffPostUK reports, to prevent similar widespread flight interruptions. Although the airports haven’t disclosed the specific equipment they’ll be using to shut out future drones, one technology thought to now be in use at Gatwick is an anti-drone dome.
That equipment has a range of several miles and uses radar to detect and jam drone signals so the devices cannot communicate with their operators. It was reportedly deployed on a roof at Gatwick.
“Working closely with relevant authorities including the Met Police, we are constantly looking at the best technologies that help remove the threat of drones,” a spokesperson for Heathrow told HuffPost.
The recent drone sightings at Gatwick wreaked havoc on the airport from Dec. 19 to 21. The airport, which is the second busiest in all of Britain, was closed for 36 hours over the three-day stretch, and thousands of flights were canceled.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards