Heathrow, Gatwick Airports Are Getting Anti-Drone Technology
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London’s two biggest airports, Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick (LGW), will install anti-drone technology after a series of reported drone sighting shutdown LGW for several days during the busy Christmas travel season.
The airports are investing millions of dollars in the new technology, HuffPostUK reports, to prevent similar widespread flight interruptions. Although the airports haven’t disclosed the specific equipment they’ll be using to shut out future drones, one technology thought to now be in use at Gatwick is an anti-drone dome.
That equipment has a range of several miles and uses radar to detect and jam drone signals so the devices cannot communicate with their operators. It was reportedly deployed on a roof at Gatwick.
“Working closely with relevant authorities including the Met Police, we are constantly looking at the best technologies that help remove the threat of drones,” a spokesperson for Heathrow told HuffPost.
The recent drone sightings at Gatwick wreaked havoc on the airport from Dec. 19 to 21. The airport, which is the second busiest in all of Britain, was closed for 36 hours over the three-day stretch, and thousands of flights were canceled.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees