We went to the new ‘secret’ speakeasy bar in Las Vegas — here’s how to find it
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Vegas is all about the glitz, glamour and special access.
It’s a place where there are VIPs and real VIPs and it’s socially acceptable to flash a player’s club status card to cut everything from the nightclub queue to the regular taxi line.
Stretch limos pick up high rollers and whisk them from the airport to private driveways at casinos. Hidden elevators lead to suites that can’t be booked, regardless of how much you want to pay. There are regular pools and then there are the VIP pools. And there are special blackjack tables that simply say “reserved.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
There’s something special about feeling, well, special in Vegas.
Most folks won’t ever get the truly high roller special treatment in Sin City. But there are ways to get a taste of that lifestyle without betting the family home on red. We recently got a taste of the “hidden” special secrets of Las Vegas.
Enter “Here Kitty Kitty Vice Den.”
Hidden – but really located in plain sight – at the new Resorts World casino is this new speakeasy that impressed a team of TPG staff who were in town reviewing the complex last week.
Resorts World itself is a foodies’ paradise. There are more than 40 restaurants and eateries in the casino, the first new resort on The Strip in more than a decade. There are high-end spots like Genting Palace and a reimagined food court called “Famous Foods Street Eats” that focuses on Southeast Asian street food but also features a live DJ. It is Vegas, after all.
But tucked away between the hustle and bustle of a dumpling shop, fried chicken stand and a yakitori eatery is an Asian-themed convenience store named Ms. Meow’s Mamak Stall.
The store shelves are filled with flavored Kit Kat bars, Siracha peas, cups of instant ramen, potato chips and a row of cute little cat statues that wave at you.
That row of waving cats is a sign that you have arrived in the right spot. And not just in time to buy a cheap snack shipped from across the ocean.
Push back on that shelf and the entire wall moves back and lets you into this tucked away speakeasy, filled to the ceiling with ambiance and tasty drinks.
But don’t actually do that.
We got scolded for getting overly excited and trying to open the door by ourselves without first checking in.
Like most Vegas hot spots, it turns out that there is usually a waitlist — it was about 90 minutes when we arrived during the opening week. We were told when it first opens in the late afternoon, it’s usually pretty easy to get in. That said, the next night, the speakeasy was closed for a private event.
But once you are inside, you’ve been transported a world away from the busy food stalls and noisy craps tables. Or at least it feels that way.
In clear nods to the Prohibition-era roots of the modern-day speakeasy, this vice den is home to dim lights, brick walls, wooden rafters and a single bright, red light affixed next to the bar.
The space looks industrial and thrown together while also welcoming.
You’re encouraged to settle in and order a drink — or two.
Here Kitty Kitty Vice Den is the newest hidden speakeasy in Las Vegas, but it’s not the only one.
In a city known for hidden secrets, slights of hand and special access, you’ll never want to assume anything, such as a barbershop, bookcase or even a snack shop, is simple as it might first appear.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees