Korean Air to Add 30 Boeing Dreamliners to Wide-Body Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what’s likely to be Boeing’s most significant airline announcement of the 2019 Paris Air Show, Korean Air has signed on to add 30 787 Dreamliners to its fleet. The carrier’s order consists of 10 Boeing 787-9s, 10 787-10s and another 10 787-10s leased via Air Lease Corporation (ALC).
Korean Air currently operates a fleet of 10 mid-size Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners — TPG and I attended the airline’s first 787 delivery event at Boeing’s South Charleston, SC plant back in 2017.
Oddly, Korean Air offers the same seat in both business and first class — the well-regarded Apex Suite — but as the carrier has begun phasing out first class, it’s likely that these new aircraft will simply offer business and economy.
With this order, the carrier is quadrupling its 787 fleet — that’s certainly a notable boost. The 787-10 can accommodate roughly 330 passengers with two classes of service, potentially adding some 40 seats over the carrier’s current 787-9s, based on a standard configuration.
|Wingspan||197 ft., 4 in.||197 ft., 4 in.||197 ft., 4 in.|
|Cargo Capacity||9 pallets||11 pallets||13 pallets|
It’s not clear when the carrier will take delivery of its new Dreamliners, as the order has not yet been finalized. The 20 aircraft Korean Air is purchasing represent a total value of $6.3 billion, based on current list prices, in addition to the 10 extended-length 787-10s leased through ALC.
Korean Air serves 126 airports in 44 countries around the world, including North American destinations Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Honolulu (HNL), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), New York-JFK, San Francisco (SFO), Toronto (YYZ), Vancouver (YVR) and Washington, DC (IAD).
All images courtesy of the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees