It’s About to Get Even More Expensive to Go to and From New York City-Area Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced a plan on Tuesday to add a $4 fee on ride-hailing car services (like Uber, Lyft, etc.) and taxis for pick-ups at New York City-area airports.
The plan will also raise tolls at bridges and tunnels and increase fares on the PATH rail service, as well as air trains to John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) and Newark Airport (EWR).
The excess fees are to help to keep up with inflation and fund more than $30 billion in capital projects over the next decade, AP reported. Some of these projects include airport renovations, such as a new air train to LaGuardia Airport (LGA), replacing the old, decrepit EWR air train and continuing the ongoing construction at JFK. There is also a capital plan for a new Terminal B at EWR in the works, which will cost about $35 million.
Port Authority officials specifically highlighted that air train fares, which were previously $5 to $5.50, haven’t increased in over 12 years. It will now cost a passenger $7.75 to travel to EWR or JFK via air train.
As for taxi’s and app-based car services, both fares will cost an extra $4 for pick-ups at either EWR, JFK or LGA. App-based car services will also be charged $4 for drop-offs at the airports as well.
Public hearings in regard to the fare increases will be held in July with a board vote on the table for as early as September.
Featured image by Katrin Sauerwein/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.