It’s About to Get Even More Expensive to Go to and From New York City-Area Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced a plan on Tuesday to add a $4 fee on ride-hailing car services (like Uber, Lyft, etc.) and taxis for pick-ups at New York City-area airports.
The plan will also raise tolls at bridges and tunnels and increase fares on the PATH rail service, as well as air trains to John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) and Newark Airport (EWR).
The excess fees are to help to keep up with inflation and fund more than $30 billion in capital projects over the next decade, AP reported. Some of these projects include airport renovations, such as a new air train to LaGuardia Airport (LGA), replacing the old, decrepit EWR air train and continuing the ongoing construction at JFK. There is also a capital plan for a new Terminal B at EWR in the works, which will cost about $35 million.
Port Authority officials specifically highlighted that air train fares, which were previously $5 to $5.50, haven’t increased in over 12 years. It will now cost a passenger $7.75 to travel to EWR or JFK via air train.
As for taxi’s and app-based car services, both fares will cost an extra $4 for pick-ups at either EWR, JFK or LGA. App-based car services will also be charged $4 for drop-offs at the airports as well.
Public hearings in regard to the fare increases will be held in July with a board vote on the table for as early as September.
Featured image by Katrin Sauerwein/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees