Istanbul New Airport Delayed Opening Until March 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a sudden but not unexpected move, the opening of Istanbul New Airport has been delayed yet again. According to Turkish news agency T24, the airport, which was most recently supposed to open at the end of December 2018, will now open in March 2019.
The decision to postpone the airport opening was made at a meeting on Tuesday with Turkey’s Minter of Transport and Infrastructure. Also present were airport officials. All of whom chose to delay the opening until March — a decision that took about two hours.
Istanbul New Airport is open at this time, though with only a few domestic and regional routes that have been operating since its October 2018 soft launch. On Dec. 30, 2018, the new airport, which is currently operating under the IATA code “ISL,” was supposed to take over all Istanbul operations, and the “IST” code from Istanbul Ataturk Airport.
The airport’s soft opening came after just 42 months of construction, however, as of October, there was still plenty of construction ongoing.
All images by the author.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.