The runway chalet at the TWA Hotel is back for the holidays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
In the midst of the busy holidays, nothing sounds better than cozying up by a fire with a nice drink and good company. And you can do just that at the Runway Chalet at the TWA Hotel’s Pool Bar, which is back for the season.
TWA has transformed the rooftop area of the bar into a 1960’s ski lodge-themed chalet. The rooftop is both tented and heated and decked out in retro ski gear like any chalet should be. You can get in on the fun from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m daily.
The chalet features 18 special cocktails, including some with aviation geek-approved names from “Eero Dynamics” (bourbon, orange bitters, Angostura bitters and Demerara) to the “Control Tower Sour.” You can also opt for a seasonal cocktail like the “Wintry Mix” with vanilla vodka, muddled raspberry, Chambord, pineapple and cranberry juices and lime.
After you’ve enjoyed drinks and food by the fire, you can get in some planespotting while relaxing in the pool-cuzzi — heated to 95 degrees or higher — that overlooks Runway 4 Left/22 Right.
Pool reservations are recommended — even if you’re a guest at the hotel. Each reservation is allotted for one hour and 45 minutes, but walk-ins will be accommodated on a first come, first served basis.
Hotel guests can make a pool reservation for free, otherwise, you’ll have to pay up the following rates:
- Monday through Thursday: $25 per adult and $20 per child (ages 5 to 12)
- Friday through Sunday: $50 per adult and $20 per child (ages to 5 to 12)
Children 4 years of age and under can use the pool for free with adult supervision. To make a reservation, email email@example.com.
The New York City COVID-19 vaccination rules apply to the TWA Hotel. For indoor activities, everyone 5 and older must show proof of at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine at this time. Effective Dec. 27, 2021, people ages 12 and older must provide proof of at least two vaccine doses, except for those who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Starting Jan. 28, 2022, children ages 5 to 11 must also show proof of full vaccination to participate in indoor activities.
TWA makes layovers at JFK fun — from the Runway Rink to the Connie cocktail lounge and now the Runway Chalet. Even if you don’t have a layover, the TWA Hotel can be a fun break from the city — just prepare yourself for the trip to get there.
Now, who’s ready for that “Weather Delay”?
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.
Featured photo courtesy of The TWA Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.