Inside the Gulfstream G500 That Just Completed a 150,000-Mile World Tour
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cruising at Mach 0.85 — 650 miles per hour, or 85% of the speed of sound — Gulfstream’s G500 can fly 6,000 miles without a refueling stop. But the company’s latest private jet recently completed an outrageously long 150,000-mile world tour, where stopping was the name of the game.
On a tour that brought the plane to 18 countries on six continents in seven months, the G500 stopped at a total of 44 cities, where customers had an opportunity to come onboard and tour the cabin you see here. The plane also made several speed records, including West Palm Beach to Seville, Spain in 7 hours and 4 minutes, and Chicago to San Jose in just 3 hours and 34 minutes.
Since I’m not currently in the market for a private jet (boo!), I had to wait for the Farnborough Air Show to score some time onboard.
It was an especially interesting visit, given that I had just toured Qatar’s version of the same plane, which has yet to be delivered by Gulfstream. Both jets look very similar inside, though I slightly preferred the Qatar interior — especially since it offered a private cabin at the rear of the plane. Qatar also had the blinds drawn, which made for a warmer, more pleasant feel.
Customers can customize the interiors as they wish, but many of the features were nearly identical on both G500s I visited, including the lie-flat cabin seating and rear lavatory.
While it’s not gigantic, this is one of the highest-end lavs I’ve seen — the toilet even disappears entirely, hidden beneath a leather seat.
The forward crew lavatory is quite nice as well.
The crew areas are almost as attractive as the passenger cabin behind — the G500 has one of the nicest galleys I’ve seen on a plane.
My favorite section is the cockpit, however — the G500 offers Gulfstream’s Symmetry Flight Deck, complete with active control (fully synchronized) sidesticks, replacing the traditional yoke.
Touchscreens on both the forward and overhead consoles replace traditional buttons and dials, too, making it easy for pilots to find exactly the control they’re looking for, and for Gulfstream to provide updates long after an aircraft makes its way to a customer.
Just this month, Gulfstream received FAA certification for the $45 million G500. With that very important requirement now squared away, the first 19-passenger plane is expected to make its way to the first customer later this year.
For more on Gulfstream’s private jets, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees