Way Above First: Living Large on Qatar’s Gulfstream G500 Private Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes, even a posh first-class cabin just won’t cut it. Perhaps you’re an A-list celebrity, looking to travel far from public view, or a politician or member of a royal family with special security needs — but you don’t want to spend for something truly big, like a VIP-configured Boeing 777.
Or maybe you need to fly a small team from one meeting to the next, and you don’t have time to make a stop or risk the travel disruptions you’re more likely to experience flying commercial. That’s when it might make sense to fly private, and Qatar Executive is one of the airlines around the world that can help you with that. This sister company of Qatar Airways flies, among others, US-made Gulfstream jets.
For longer trips, Qatar offers the Gulfstream G650ER, which can fly 8,500 miles without a stop. The G500 offers a similar cabin footprint, but with a range of roughly 6,000 miles — that’s still enough to fly from the US West Coast to parts of Asia and Europe, but longer trips will require a stop. Qatar Executive is betting that a lot of people will want to fly ita Gulfstreams: It has ordered 30 of them, between the G500s and slightly larger G600, plus more G650ERs.
The passenger area of the G500 should feel comparable in size to the G650ER — while the interior isn’t as long, space is trimmed from other areas, since there isn’t a need for a dedicated crew rest with the shorter range.
The cabin is appointed similarly to Qatar’s longer-range Gulfsteam jet, though I actually like elements of the G500 a bit more — the quilted seat stitching, for example.
There are two separate passenger compartments, just like on the G650ER. The rear compartment has a separate fold-out sofa, and all of the seats can fold flat to create a bed.
At the far back of the cabin is a large lavatory, complete with a sink you’re more likely to find in a home than on a plane.
The toilet is hidden as well — you’ll need to flip up the large leather seat to reveal it.
Each compartment can be sealed off for extra privacy, both from one another and from the forward crew area.
There’s a full galley up front, complete with another sink, an oven and espresso machine.
I love the cockpit, too — I can’t recall ever seeing a cockpit more attractive than this, on any jet.
As is typically the case for private-jet operators, Qatar’s mum on pricing — though in this case, that makes perfect sense, since the aircraft has yet to be delivered by Gulfstream. Pending certification of the G500, this latest addition is expected to make its way to Qatar Executive’s fleet before the end of 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees