Look Inside a Gulfstream Flying Hospital for Beijing’s Red Cross
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s Beijing Red Cross Emergency Medical Center just added a very expensive toy to its EMS fleet, which already consists of a reported 300 ambulances, two helicopters and a Dassault Falcon 2000LX business jet.
With a range of nearly 7,800 miles, the group’s first Gulfstream, a G550, will be used for disaster relief and air rescue services around the world.
While Gulfstream and the Beijing Red Cross are mum on pricing details, a new G550 typically sells for some $61.5 million, though cabin appointments — such as the various equipment required for a medevac aircraft — can easily bump that price tag up a few million more.
Speaking of equipment, this particular G550 is outfitted with an incubator, life support, x-ray viewer, blood storage capability, powered gurney loading system and more. In a message to TPG, Gulfstream stated: “In this aircraft, patients can receive the same medical care in the air that they would receive on the ground.”
There are also fold-out nursing seats and a crew rest with lie-flat capability — the latter of which will certainly come in handy on some of the plane’s longer flights, which can exceed 13 hours between, say, Beijing and New York.
The Beijing Red Cross took delivery of the new plane in Savannah, Georgia, this week, and shared plans to add an even-longer-range G650ER as well.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.