This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s Beijing Red Cross Emergency Medical Center just added a very expensive toy to its EMS fleet, which already consists of a reported 300 ambulances, two helicopters and a Dassault Falcon 2000LX business jet.
With a range of nearly 7,800 miles, the group’s first Gulfstream, a G550, will be used for disaster relief and air rescue services around the world.
While Gulfstream and the Beijing Red Cross are mum on pricing details, a new G550 typically sells for some $61.5 million, though cabin appointments — such as the various equipment required for a medevac aircraft — can easily bump that price tag up a few million more.
Speaking of equipment, this particular G550 is outfitted with an incubator, life support, x-ray viewer, blood storage capability, powered gurney loading system and more. In a message to TPG, Gulfstream stated: “In this aircraft, patients can receive the same medical care in the air that they would receive on the ground.”
There are also fold-out nursing seats and a crew rest with lie-flat capability — the latter of which will certainly come in handy on some of the plane’s longer flights, which can exceed 13 hours between, say, Beijing and New York.
The Beijing Red Cross took delivery of the new plane in Savannah, Georgia, this week, and shared plans to add an even-longer-range G650ER as well.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards