Look Inside a Gulfstream Flying Hospital for Beijing’s Red Cross
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s Beijing Red Cross Emergency Medical Center just added a very expensive toy to its EMS fleet, which already consists of a reported 300 ambulances, two helicopters and a Dassault Falcon 2000LX business jet.
With a range of nearly 7,800 miles, the group’s first Gulfstream, a G550, will be used for disaster relief and air rescue services around the world.
While Gulfstream and the Beijing Red Cross are mum on pricing details, a new G550 typically sells for some $61.5 million, though cabin appointments — such as the various equipment required for a medevac aircraft — can easily bump that price tag up a few million more.
Speaking of equipment, this particular G550 is outfitted with an incubator, life support, x-ray viewer, blood storage capability, powered gurney loading system and more. In a message to TPG, Gulfstream stated: “In this aircraft, patients can receive the same medical care in the air that they would receive on the ground.”
There are also fold-out nursing seats and a crew rest with lie-flat capability — the latter of which will certainly come in handy on some of the plane’s longer flights, which can exceed 13 hours between, say, Beijing and New York.
The Beijing Red Cross took delivery of the new plane in Savannah, Georgia, this week, and shared plans to add an even-longer-range G650ER as well.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees