Dynamic pricing opens up new IHG properties using reward-night certificates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post originally published on June 2, 2020. It has been updated with new information.
At the end of May, IHG Rewards officially implemented dynamic award pricing across much of it’s portfolio. This development was a long time coming; the company indicated this was in the cards in its 2019 year-end report, and it quietly took effect in the Greater China region earlier this year. Now, you’ll see a range of award prices for most hotels and resorts under the IHG umbrella.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
At first glance, these changes appeared to be a positive update, as many top properties became available for fewer points. One of my personal favorites for a stay-cation — the Vero Beach Hotel & Spa, just north of my hometown — dropped to as low as 30,000 points for many dates this summer and fall.
This development was particularly exciting for holders of select IHG credit cards — like the IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card — as some offer a reward-night certificate every year on your account anniversary. These have been capped at 40,000 points since 2018, putting top-tier properties like the Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa in the Cayman Islands out of reach. However, with newly introduced dynamic prices, the previously-excluded properties (available at this page) might now be available — for nights that dropped to 40,000 points or lower.
Since IHG announced extensions of these certificates in April, this development was poised to offer even more potential value.
Unfortunately, that wasn’t initially the case. When dynamic pricing went live, properties that were previously excluded were not bookable with these certificates. On a date with a price at or below 40,000 points, these locations would appear as available, but you’d receive an error message once you tried to confirm the booking. An IHG spokesperson told TPG at the time that this was due to a “technical glitch” that was being addressed.
Thankfully, as of this morning, the issue has been resolved, per an email TPG received from IHG:
“An update was made to IHG website yesterday to correct this problem. Guests should now be able to use the IHG digital booking channels to book hotels that are 40K points or less using their IHG Rewards Club credit card Anniversary night. There are still a handful of use cases the team is working through but overall this issue is resolved.”
As a test, I tried to book the InterContinental Danang in Vietnam for a random date in November when the award rate was 40,000 points. After progressing through the booking process, the reservation successfully confirmed:
This is great news, as we’re still seeing many dates with lower award prices but high paid rates. The test reservation I made above, for example, would’ve set me back $383.58, offering phenomenal value for a award-night certificate from a card with an annual fee of less than $100.
Let us know which properties you’ve been able to book in the comments section below.
Related: Why I choose to be loyal to IHG
Related: Maximizing IHG for families
Featured photo of the Vero Beach Hotel & Spa courtesy of IHG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees