IAG agrees to purchase Air Europa for half of what it offered 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IAG-owned Iberia has been given the go-ahead to acquire Air Europa for €500 million — half of the 2019 equity value of €1 billion. IAG also detailed that it will not make the final payment until six years after the acquisition.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
However, before the sale can officially go ahead, Iberia must finalize negotiations with the Sociedad Estatal de Participaciones Industriales (SEPI) — a Spanish state-owned sovereign wealth fund. The negotiations will be centered around the non-financial terms associated with the financial support that SEPI provided to Air Europe throughout the turbulent year of 2020.
IAG expects the completion of the deal to take place in the latter half of 2021, around the time when the recovery of air travel is hoped to be well underway.
“Both Iberia and IAG are demonstrating their resilience to face the deepest crisis in aviation’s history,” IAG CEO Luis Gallego said in a statement. “Being part of a large group is the best guarantee to overcome current market challenges which will also benefit Air Europa once the transaction is completed. I am pleased that we have reached agreement with Globalia [the owners of Air Europa] to defer payment until well into the expected recovery in air travel following the end of the pandemic and when we expect to be realizing significant synergies resulting from the transaction.”
IAG hopes that with the incorporation of Air Europa, it will bolster its presence at Madrid Barajas Airport (MAD). With the expanded route network as a result of the acquisition, IAG hopes that MAD can become a competitor with other European hub airports like Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris.
“This transaction makes perfect strategic sense to reinforce Madrid’s hub competitiveness on a global stage,” said Iberia CEO Javier Sánchez-Prieto. “It will benefit consumers and Air Europa’s incorporation into the Iberia Group will improve the company’s viability benefitting both Iberia and Air Europa employees.”
Additionally, with Air Europa as part of the IAG umbrella, passengers will have better opportunities to earn and redeem miles. Iberia uses Avios as its currency — the same that fellow IAG airlines British Airways and Aer Lingus use.
Air Europa is Spain’s third-largest airline after Iberia and Vueling, and is based out of Palma on the Balearic island of Mallorca. Currently, Air Europa is a member of SkyTeam, though it will likely switch to rival airline alliance Oneworld with IAG-owned airlines such as British Airways and Iberia.
Featured image by SOPA Images/Getty
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees