Hyatt increases points value for dining and spa credits by up to 50%
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The World of Hyatt Credit Card
It’s never a bad thing when loyalty programs offer alternative methods for redeeming points. Even if the value you’ll receive isn’t the greatest, there’s nothing wrong with options.
Take Hyatt points, for example. You can use them for much more than just free stays at stunning hotels. You can:
- Transfer them to several airline partners at a ratio of 2.5:1 (not a good deal)
- Redeem them for Avis car rentals at a rate of 6,000 points per day (not a good deal)
- Trade them for hotel credits for food, spa, in-room purchases, etc. (not a good deal)
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
However, beginning today, Jan. 29, 2020, Hyatt is increasing the value you’ll receive when you cash your points out for hotel credits. Take a look at the list below:
The more Hyatt points you redeem, the better the value you’ll receive:
- 1,000 to 7,500 points = 1 cent each
- 8,000 to 20,000 points = 1.25 cents each
- 35,000 points = 1.43 cents each
- 65,000 points = 1.54 cents each
Still not remarkable, but way better than before, as the chart indicates. The highest value you’d previously receive was 0.83 cents per point. TPG currently values Hyatt points at 1.7 cents each. That means even the best hotel credit redemption delivers below-average value.
Still, if you’d normally use your points this way, or if you’re flush with Hyatt points, this is good news.
You can earn Hyatt points with The World of Hyatt Credit Card, which offers up to 50,000 points after meeting tiered spending:
- 25,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening
- 25,000 more points after spending $6,000 total on purchases in the first six months of account opening
That bonus is worth $770 in Hyatt credits if redeemed for the highest rate. You can also earn Hyatt points by transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Hyatt at a 1:1 ratio:
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 100,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening (worth $924 in Hyatt credits if redeemed at the highest rate)
Not bad. In fact, you’ll generally receive more value by transferring Chase points to Hyatt for hotel credits than you will transferring them to other popular travel partners, like Southwest and JetBlue.
Featured photo by BraunS/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees