Get ready to see more bulk toiletries at Hyatt hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The number of major hotel brands who have renounced single-use toiletries just climbed to three.
On Tuesday, Nov. 12, Hyatt announced it would be replacing miniature shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles with “large-format bath amenities.”
The initiative, which will be “introduced as soon as possible” and no later than June 2021, will eliminate single-use bath products from all of the company’s more than 875 properties, including Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, Thompson Hotels and the all-inclusive Hyatt Zivas and Zilaras. It’s just one of three measures designed to minimize the brand’s plastic pollution.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“Transitioning to large-format bathroom amenities and reducing single-use water bottles builds on Hyatt’s broader commitment to reduce disposables and select environmentally preferable options whenever possible… ” read a statement from Hyatt.
Though many travelers object to the industry’s rapid shift to refillable bath product dispensers, the days of personal, miniature toiletry bottles are likely to disappear in the rearview mirror. And at brands where the single-use bottle isn’t already dead, it’s certainly dying.
Both Marriott and IHG began removing individual bottles in 2018, and have since committed to exclusively using larger dispensers. IHG believes it can keep 200 million plastic bottles from going to a landfill, while Marriott expects to save some 500 million single-use bottles. If Hilton follows suit, all the major hotel brands will have committed to removing an amenity that many travelers have come to not only expect, but depend upon.
Single-use amenity bans are actually become written into law (California signed a law into effect in October, and New York is considering similar regulations), and even boutique properties may have no choice but to get on the bulk-bottle bandwagon.
So, what to do if you’re among those travelers who shudder at the thought of what might be inside those bulk dispensers? Consider these expert hacks for keeping your lotions, potions, tonics and soaps from leaking all over the contents of your suitcase.
Feature image by Mumemories / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees