‘Zombie’ Hurricane Leslie Approaches Europe; Travel Waivers Issued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Leslie has lurked off the coast of the Atlantic for several weeks now, acquiring its “zombie” moniker for surviving on warm waters and moisture from regional weather since Sept. 23. Despite being bounced around by numerous weather systems, the tropical storm has hovered well away from land up until this past week. Now, all of that may change as a shift in weather has finally sent Leslie eastward, bound for the western shores of Portugal and the Iberian peninsula.
The National Hurricane Center, which monitors storms in the Atlantic basin, announced Friday evening that Hurricane Leslie is expected to bring “near hurricane-force winds” to Portugal and portions of western Spain, reporting that the storm was “rapidly heading east-northeastward” toward land. Saturday morning follow-up posts remarked, “Leslie heading for the Iberian peninsula in a hurry” and “defiant Leslie still a hurricane.” According to AccuWeather, the cities likely to be most affected will be from Lisbon to Lagos and Faro, Portugal, and from Salamanca and the northern suburbs of Madrid, Spain, to A Coruña and Bilbao.
Leslie is the first tropical storm to target the Iberian Peninsula with such intensity since Vince in 2005, which briefly reached hurricane status near the Azores before winding down to end up as a tropical depression closer to the mainland near Huelva, Spain.
Lingering moisture and weather disruption from Hurricane Michael, on the other side of the Atlantic, is crossing the ocean as well, and could send some rainfall into northern Portugal and western Spain on Monday.
As of publish time, TAP Air Portugal is the only airline to have released travel waivers for Madeira Island, off the southwestern coast of Portugal:
- Travel dates: October 13-15, 2018
- Airports affected: Funchal (FNC), Porto Santo (PXO)
- Must have bought your ticket by October 12
- Rebook travel anytime up to October 22
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin.
- Additional information here.
While easyJet hasn’t formally announced any flight cancellations or delays, the airline has issued an announcement, stating, “Hurricane Leslie is expected to move across the Atlantic Ocean this weekend and high winds may affect the Canaries and also the routes that our aircraft fly to and from the islands. We currently plan to operate our flights to and from airports in the Canary Islands as planned and we are monitoring the weather conditions closely whilst looking to minimise any impact to flights as much as possible.”
TPG will continue to monitor potential waiver updates from all major carriers.
Featured photo by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees