‘Zombie’ Hurricane Leslie Approaches Europe; Travel Waivers Issued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Leslie has lurked off the coast of the Atlantic for several weeks now, acquiring its “zombie” moniker for surviving on warm waters and moisture from regional weather since Sept. 23. Despite being bounced around by numerous weather systems, the tropical storm has hovered well away from land up until this past week. Now, all of that may change as a shift in weather has finally sent Leslie eastward, bound for the western shores of Portugal and the Iberian peninsula.
The National Hurricane Center, which monitors storms in the Atlantic basin, announced Friday evening that Hurricane Leslie is expected to bring “near hurricane-force winds” to Portugal and portions of western Spain, reporting that the storm was “rapidly heading east-northeastward” toward land. Saturday morning follow-up posts remarked, “Leslie heading for the Iberian peninsula in a hurry” and “defiant Leslie still a hurricane.” According to AccuWeather, the cities likely to be most affected will be from Lisbon to Lagos and Faro, Portugal, and from Salamanca and the northern suburbs of Madrid, Spain, to A Coruña and Bilbao.
Leslie is the first tropical storm to target the Iberian Peninsula with such intensity since Vince in 2005, which briefly reached hurricane status near the Azores before winding down to end up as a tropical depression closer to the mainland near Huelva, Spain.
Lingering moisture and weather disruption from Hurricane Michael, on the other side of the Atlantic, is crossing the ocean as well, and could send some rainfall into northern Portugal and western Spain on Monday.
As of publish time, TAP Air Portugal is the only airline to have released travel waivers for Madeira Island, off the southwestern coast of Portugal:
- Travel dates: October 13-15, 2018
- Airports affected: Funchal (FNC), Porto Santo (PXO)
- Must have bought your ticket by October 12
- Rebook travel anytime up to October 22
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin.
- Additional information here.
While easyJet hasn’t formally announced any flight cancellations or delays, the airline has issued an announcement, stating, “Hurricane Leslie is expected to move across the Atlantic Ocean this weekend and high winds may affect the Canaries and also the routes that our aircraft fly to and from the islands. We currently plan to operate our flights to and from airports in the Canary Islands as planned and we are monitoring the weather conditions closely whilst looking to minimise any impact to flights as much as possible.”
TPG will continue to monitor potential waiver updates from all major carriers.
Featured photo by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.