Hopper Study Says You Should Book Your Holiday Travel Plans Before Halloween
In August, Hipmunk put out when it thought travelers should be booking their flights home for Thanksgiving and the December holidays. Now, Hopper, a company that uses data to predict flight and hotel prices and notifies people when it’s the best time to book, has its own holiday travel recommendations. The company analyzed its historical flight archive to figure out when you should buy and fly, the routes with the most and fewest price changes and the top 10 destinations for both Thanksgiving and the December holidays.
With the holidays approaching faster than you probably imagine, it’s definitely time to start planning. Hopper found that Thanksgiving flight prices will change an average of 102 times between now and November 22, and December holiday flight prices will change 152 times by the end of the year. These prices could fluctuate even more if you’re heading to a popular destination, like Los Angeles, New York and Orlando. If there’s anything you take away from this data, book your Thanksgiving and December holiday travel plans before Halloween
Similar to Hipmunk’s data, Hopper found that flying on Thanksgiving Day saves you the most money, however, if you’d rather not spend the holiday traveling, the next cheapest departure date is November 19. Hopper’s analysis found that Thanksgiving flight prices have dropped nearly 28% since August and round-trip domestic flights are averaging around $288 right now. Hopper also found that you can find the best flight deals in late September and remain steady through October. Prices are likely to increase around $2 per day between 15-25 days before departure and will go up as much as $6 per day in the final two weeks. The company recommends booking your Thanksgiving travel plans before the week of Halloween because prices will begin to increase again in November.
While you have some time before booking your Thanksgiving flights, you should try to lock in your December holiday travel plans before your Thanksgiving ones. Domestic round-trip flight prices for the December holidays are currently averaging around $320 — that’s 15% less than this time last year. The cheapest time to fly around Christmas is Tuesday, December 18, and returning on Thursday, December 27. In 2017, booking around mid-October gave travelers the best deals and prices rise more steadily than Thanksgiving flights. The flights you’re looking at could increase to $3 per day if you wait to book 15-25 days before departure and will rise to $4 per day if you book within two weeks before you leave.
Hopper’s travel app is another way to track airfare and hotel prices, and the app recently developed a new feature that sends users push notifications if the prices of their selected flight drop.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees